Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   75 Gallons of Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/75-gallons-questions-39088/)

wcn84 03-12-2010 08:38 PM

75 Gallons of Questions

As some of you may know I am setting up a 75 Gallon FOWLR with a 30 gallon sump. The Berlin X2 skimmer is on it's way and I have a nice 75 gallon picked out which is pre-drilled with a corner overflow. The store I am getting it from also has cheap 29/30 gallon tanks so I will get the tank for the sump there too. I have a couple more questions as I start to get all the build material together.

1. How much rock/sand do I need for the display? I am planning on a 1 inch sand bed in the display tank and refugium with a 4-5 inch bed. I was thinking about getting the 40lb Key Largo rock and 40lb sand deal from Macro rock and then another 25 pound box of the key largo rock also. I would then seed the rock with 20-25 live rock from the LFS. Do I need to get Live Sand for the refugium or will the live rock seed that sand too?

2. Any suggestions of a pump for the return line of the sump? Any suggestions on powerheads?

3. Below are some stocking ideas, this is not a list but ideas. The only must have on the list is the flame angelfish. Any comments or other ideas would be appreciated.

*Flame Angelfish (Centopyge loricula)
Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
Foxface Rabbitfish (Zebrasoa flavescens)

School of Green Chromis (6?)(Chromis viridis)
Scissortail gobies (Ptereleotris evides)
Longnose hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)
Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
Chalk bass (Serranus tortugarum)
Canary blenny (Meiacanthus atrodorsalis)
Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)

Thanks for the help!8)

fishesfriend 03-12-2010 08:57 PM

Use this for stocking. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...ng-list-38579/

All sounds good to me but the chromises they are better in pairs.

Wait for Pasfur, Wake, and dawn, to finilize it tho. They have a plethera of info and years of experince.

----------------------------------------------------
I can't spell.

wake49 03-13-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcn84 (Post 343247)
As some of you may know I am setting up a 75 Gallon FOWLR with a 30 gallon sump. The Berlin X2 skimmer is on it's way and I have a nice 75 gallon picked out which is pre-drilled with a corner overflow. The store I am getting it from also has cheap 29/30 gallon tanks so I will get the tank for the sump there too. I have a couple more questions as I start to get all the build material together.

I think that this is a good system to set-up.
Quote:

1. How much rock/sand do I need for the display? I am planning on a 1 inch sand bed in the display tank and refugium with a 4-5 inch bed. I was thinking about getting the 40lb Key Largo rock and 40lb sand deal from Macro rock and then another 25 pound box of the key largo rock also. I would then seed the rock with 20-25 live rock from the LFS. Do I need to get Live Sand for the refugium or will the live rock seed that sand too?

I would be happier seeing a 4-5" sand-bed in the display, as that is where a lot of denitrification would be happening. I like the idea on the getting the 40-40 from marco, but I would probably get two of those myself...I would also throw some small Live Rock pieces in the refugium along with some cheato macro for nutrient absorbtion.
Quote:

2. Any suggestions of a pump for the return line of the sump? Any suggestions on powerheads?

For a pump I use an Eheim Compact+ 5000 on my 150 gallon, I would suggest an Eheim Compact+ 3000 for your 75. For powerheads I would personally use the Hydor Koralia 3, and maybe a HK2 along with it on opposite ends of the tank.
Quote:

3. Below are some stocking ideas, this is not a list but ideas. The only must have on the list is the flame angelfish. Any comments or other ideas would be appreciated.

*Flame Angelfish (Centopyge loricula)
Foxface Rabbitfish (Zebrasoa flavescens)
School of Green Chromis (6?)(Chromis viridis)

I am fine with most of this list. I have no personal experience with the Bass or Basslet. I have tried to keep Rabbitfish, but most have been too feisty for my reef. Have you read the article that fishesfriend suggested?

wcn84 03-13-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 343430)

I would be happier seeing a 4-5" sand-bed in the display, as that is where a lot of denitrification would be happening. I like the idea on the getting the 40-40 from marco, but I would probably get two of those myself...I would also throw some small Live Rock pieces in the refugium along with some cheato macro for nutrient absorbtion.

For a pump I use an Eheim Compact+ 5000 on my 150 gallon, I would suggest an Eheim Compact+ 3000 for your 75. For powerheads I would personally use the Hydor Koralia 3, and maybe a HK2 along with it on opposite ends of the tank.

I am fine with most of this list. I have no personal experience with the Bass or Basslet. I have tried to keep Rabbitfish, but most have been too feisty for my reef. Have you read the article that fishesfriend suggested?

I have been thinking about the depth of the sand bed for a while now and keep finding myself jumping back and forth. I know that a deep sand bed in the main display would give me the most denitrification ability. However, I am more visually attracted to tanks with a shallow sand bed. I think that I will go with the two 40-40s from marco rock and first set up my base rock and a 1 inch bed. If at that point I feel like it will look okay I will go for a 4 inch bed in the main tank. Either way i plan on having the refugium with a 4-5 inch sand bed, a few pieces of live rock and some macro algae.

Thanks for all the equipment suggestions, I was looking at the Hydor Koralia 3 the other day at the LFS. They also carry Eheim products so I will most likely go with that too.

I just had a chance to look over the article that fishesfriend suggested and found it very helpful. I'll take the number of chromis down to 2. I think I should be okay with the rabbitfish but I understand I will have to keep an eye on it for a while. I'll keep researching and after I get the system up and running I will post a final stocking list in the order I intend to add the fish.

Oh and I forgot to ask earlier. Any suggestions on lighting for this setup?

Pasfur 03-14-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcn84 (Post 343805)
I think I should be okay with the rabbitfish but I understand I will have to keep an eye on it for a while. I'll keep researching and after I get the system up and running I will post a final stocking list in the order I intend to add the fish.

I think everything in the thread is right on track, with the exception of this Rabbitfish. This fish is a very active species and an extremely fast grower. I have a Foxface in my 180 and it has grown at a ridiculous speed. Not only are they fast growers, but they are VERY active fish They have a reputation for being shy, but this is because people cram them into tanks which are to small for their needs, which eventually weakens their immunity and makes them more susceptible to disease. You would want a 6' tank for any Foxface or similar species, such as Acanthurus tangs.

In your case, if you like the yellow color of the Foxface and want a similar looking fish for the tank size, you should consider a Long Nose Butterfly. They are very durable and slow swimming grazers, which makes them more practical for a 4' tank. They do achieve a 10'' size, but this is at least 50% smaller than a Foxface, and they have a slower growth rate.

Another option would be a Yellow Coris Wrasse, aka Banana Wrasse. They stay smaller, do great in reef settings, are hardy, and give you a beautiful flash of yellow color.

wcn84 03-14-2010 09:31 AM

I'll take the FoxFace off the list. I got some bad advice from a book. I'm not nessisarly sold on having to have a lot of yellow. The Yellow Coris Wrasse looks like a good option. Are there any other wrasses (rather then the yellow coris if I decide I don't need the extra yellow) that may be interesting additions to this tank?

fishesfriend 03-14-2010 12:20 PM

Some fairy wrasses.
these are just three but there are more and these might not be a good choose but there here.
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...01&pcatid=1401

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...58&pcatid=1158

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...97&pcatid=1397

Pasfur 03-14-2010 03:45 PM

I agree. The Fairy Wrasses are a beautiful group of fish.

By the way, you do not want any Lunar Wrasses.

wcn84 03-15-2010 05:29 PM

I ordered 80lb of Key Largo to use as base rock and 80lbs of sand from Marco. I will ordering the Hydor Koralia 3 and Eheim Compact+ 3000 pump tonight. Saturday I plan on picking up the 75 gallon tank and the 29 gallon for the sump.

What do you think of this stocking list in this order? I feel like I may be getting close to the max amount of fish for this tank. Also, will the Blennies get along? Is there anything I am overlooking?

Pair of Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Longfin Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis)
Flame Angelfish (Centopyge loricula)

fishesfriend 03-15-2010 06:07 PM

The stocking sounds good 2 me.