Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   How often should I do a water change? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/how-often-should-i-do-water-3905/)

sdcindy 03-06-2007 10:05 AM

How often should I do a water change?

I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank that I set up January 1st. I was changing 50% of the water every two weeks, but then my cory catfish died. It turned out the Nitrite was too high. The fish dealer told me I was changing the water too much on a new tank and didn't allow it to cycle properly. Anyway, I got the Nitrite under control by using Cycle and Stability.
So now that my water chemistry is fine, how often should I change the water?

Thanks!

xingumike 03-06-2007 10:16 AM

what are the nitrates reading? i would change water as often as it takes to keep them at a max of 20

sdcindy 03-06-2007 10:19 AM

Nitrates are 20 and ammonia is safe (lowest reading)

xingumike 03-06-2007 10:23 AM

sweet, spot on then!

I would go for 25% weekly on a tank that size and see how the levels go but then i do daily water changes pretty much anyways, weekly would be a blessing lol

GobbleDog 03-06-2007 12:27 PM

Hey xingumike, how often should I change my 55 gallon freshwater tank? Also, should I use aquarium salt or something else to keep it slightly brackish for my puffer?

I only have one spotted puffer fish, ghost shrimp and two mollies living in it. I keep the salt level at 1.006, because that's what the fish store dude told me to do for the puffers.

:?

xingumike 03-06-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GobbleDog
Hey xingumike, how often should I change my 55 gallon freshwater tank? Also, should I use aquarium salt or something else to keep it slightly brackish for my puffer?

I only have one spotted puffer fish, ghost shrimp and two mollies living in it. I keep the salt level at 1.006, because that's what the fish store dude told me to do for the puffers.

:?

hey, tbh i aint got a clue bud, i have no exp. with a brackish or marine tanks at all and i know that puffers are notorious for needing spot on water conditions.

Best thing i can advise is to start a thread in the brackish section so your question doesn't get lost in here, there do seem to be a few puffer keepers on here so im sure they can advise the best thing to do for ya.

Nice choice man puffers are cool 8)

GobbleDog 03-06-2007 01:46 PM

I'll check out the brackish section. Thanks.

Andyandsue 03-07-2007 09:56 PM

I change approximately 20%, removing the water during gravel vacuuming every weekend in my tanks, and they are right on the money to the point that I don't test unless I think there is a problem.

Not sure how you are testing, but I (and I think everyone else here) recommend a liquid testing kit, not strips.

Andrew 03-12-2007 03:32 PM

50% a week.

fish_4_all 03-12-2007 06:16 PM

I change 50% a week with a heavy gravel vac. All 10 gallon tanks with and without plants.