Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Beginner Plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/beginner-plants-39044/)

Zeetrain 03-11-2010 10:33 PM

Beginner Plants

Im planning on planting a 10 gallon tank and going for a natural look. Its going to be a betta sorority so im planning on adding plenty of hiding places with maybe some drift wood or maybe fake wood and probably some tera cota pots. So i was wondering what would be a few beginner plants or easy plants to take care of?

Angel079 03-11-2010 10:49 PM

Well you don't want nothing that get's too tall for a 10g..
What would look nice in the back is some Narrow leaf Chain Sword or Sagetarria; both kinda broader leaf grassy style looking.
Then maybe something like Cryptocoryne either Walkeri (green) or Wendtii (Red) mixed in with some Kleiner Bar Sword.
Java Ferns would also work for the height of the 10g.

My fav shopping place currently has a 25% off sale going on you may be interested and they have a ton plants to choose from (gotta love their quality!) www.sweetaquatics.com

But just to cross check and be sure here: What kinda lights do you have (Kelvin? Wattage?)?

Zeetrain 03-11-2010 11:23 PM

Well I have a 15 watt flourescent tube light on one of my tanks that i could use for it.

Austin 03-11-2010 11:37 PM

If it came with the fish tank it's likely not a light thats good for plants...

Zeetrain 03-11-2010 11:39 PM

No, this is my own light. My dad let me have it a few years back.

Austin 03-12-2010 12:28 AM

Well, I believe lights intensity wears out after a year (T12) and a few years (T8 ), but anyways make sure its somewhere around 6500k - 6700k for plants. :)

Zeetrain 03-12-2010 09:48 AM

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Angel079 03-12-2010 09:55 AM

Yea that bulb (wattage wise) would be alright. But see if you can find a name on it or Kelvin rating this info is always printed on its sides. If you got T8 sizes you're easiest up to go to Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes and get what's labeled as "Daylight" these are offered by GE, Phillips, Bright effect and rated 6500K (it'll say it on the box; GE Daylights box is white and light blue colored) with that you can grow anything in your tank and these bulbs are only few bucks (contrary to the pet store) as that's no expensive matter since you have a fixture already.

LisaC144 03-12-2010 10:21 AM

"A few bucks" depending on where you live girl... :rofl: Regardles....WAAAY cheaper than the LFS.

redchigh 03-12-2010 10:25 AM

I'd also get an anubias nana and a red ludwigea.
(It wil probably turn green in the tank, but mine is growing like CRAZY. Plus you can trim it frequently, making it into either a modground or background plant.
Might look nice if you kept a couple 4-7 inch tall bunches right in from of your background plants.
By the way, Anubias and Java Fern do best tied to driftwood, but I've grown java fern on the substrate. (read on, not in)

Now I have a little weighted java fern because it attached itself to some pieces of gravel. Just make sure you place just a few pieces of gravel on it (don't "bury" the root).