Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How to make filter safe for adf (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-make-filter-safe-adf-389986/)

Vpaw 04-29-2014 11:12 PM

How to make filter safe for adf

I have 2 african dwarf frogs living in a 5 gallon tank, there is an internal filter, a whisper, pretty small. Also an air stone, but I have it set to about 1 bubble a second, since they don't like much water movement..

Well they usually get somewhat sucked on the bottom of the filter, but I thought it was on purpose after a while since they could what seemed easily get out, get air, then swim back down and go under again, maybe hey like the feel?

However today I saw just front legs sticking out, and they weren't just on he outside this time, he has gone in! So I turned the filter off and shook him out, must've just happened since they can only go 10 minutes without air, and he was still alive.

What can I do or put over the filter to make it safer? Would a sponge filter even be a good idea since they don't like air stones?

fish monger 05-02-2014 07:44 PM

You could put netting over the intake of the filter. You could make the netting out of a filter media bag or a piece from old panty hose or stockings. A rubber band would probably work to secure it. I wouldn't be so concerned about the water movement. A moderate flow should be fine. They don't have far to go for air in a 5 gallon.

Agent13 05-02-2014 11:55 PM

10mn without air?!?!? Ive had more ADFs then I can count 4 of who survived my house burning to the ground.. But never would I say they only need 10mn of air. Mine have stayed down for an hr easily ..without filter issues. And did fine.. they wanted to be dwn longer.. All lived about 5yrs.

Vpaw 05-03-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 4403850)
10mn without air?!?!? Ive had more ADFs then I can count 4 of who survived my house burning to the ground.. But never would I say they only need 10mn of air. Mine have stayed down for an hr easily ..without filter issues. And did fine.. they wanted to be dwn longer.. All lived about 5yrs.

Really? I've always read they can only last 10 minutes before they need to go up again.

Maybe I'll try using one of those things, my mom said that when I turned the filter off the frog was on the top of it, where the water usually flows out, and was staring at her. He could have jumped out!

finnfinnfriend 05-03-2014 03:45 PM

I wouldn't worry. I have mine in a 29 gallon with an aquaclear 70 on almost full blast with no baffle and they have been doing great like that for months...They croak at night and mate with each other and everything.

Vpaw 05-04-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend (Post 4406386)
I wouldn't worry. I have mine in a 29 gallon with an aquaclear 70 on almost full blast with no baffle and they have been doing great like that for months...They croak at night and mate with each other and everything.

I had mine in a 20 before, but it's just that now he is actually going into the filter is the problem, it's probably not strong enough to kill him or keep him stuck though. Why does he even feel the need to hide in there? They have a spongebob house and 2 of those little craft pots.

Vpaw 05-06-2014 11:07 PM

Ok... Well now it completely stopped working for some reason.l I even took it apart but nothing worked. So, any good recommendations for this tank? Maybe special amphibian filters?