Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   A place for the babies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/place-babies-3894/)

SporadicStaticAddict 03-05-2007 10:52 PM

A place for the babies?

Both my female guppies and possibly some of my mollies as well are pregnant. Now, I read the sticky about livebearers and had some questions pertaining to that. (It was good information by the way, thank you.)

Is the two-way breeder plastic thing is a no-no then for letting fry mature? Because I do have one very large, hungry molly named Bartholamina (it was Bartholamew (sp?) until I pointed out to her namer that it was a she) that would very much like to eat the one baby fish I have in there now. I don't have much in the way of plants for my fish to hide in yet (it's a new tank, and the paycheck went to filter/heater/airstones rather than fake plants or decco), so I've got that baby in the breeder.

I am going to invest in plants and more decco soon. What I was wondering is would fake plants work for fry to hide in or should I go for the real deal? And should I put my plastic breeder away for good?

lioness501 03-06-2007 03:39 AM

plastic or fake plants is all about preference. i always have fake plants, but have a couple real for water conditions, i have my fry in a breeder at the moment, they have been there a while and now need room, i wouldnt suggest using the small plastic ones to put the preg females in bcos they get very stressed. if u r planning on keepin the fry i suggest another tank else soon ull b overstocked. i recently got a little 25ltre tank to grow out my fry b4 rehoming them

SporadicStaticAddict 03-06-2007 05:26 AM

Alright. I shall keep that in mind. Thanks!

daisycutter 03-07-2007 11:46 PM

big handful of any fast growing weed (eldoa,cabomba,millfiols,hornwort) cost very little and protects young from the parent fish all need drastic pruning thogh

SporadicStaticAddict 03-09-2007 05:11 AM

I was actually just logging on to ask about plants... how convenient. ;) Plants where the little ones could hide would be great. The tank is scarce on decoration other than the fish themselves, a few fake plants, and those marble like things mixed with the rocks. Plants like those will serve more than one purpose.

jandpgault 04-04-2007 10:01 AM

plastic breeder...

I purchased one of those 3 in 1 plastic breeder things that just float near the side of my tank. (Sorry, I don't remember the brand name - I got it at Petsmart though for like $6.) It is one of the largest ones I have found and all the inserts can be removed making the swimming space pretty large for the little fry guys.

By the time I purchased the breeder and the extra plants this time around, I was down to one fry left. The others had gotten eaten up over the course of a few days. The little fry guy I had left was moved to the breeder and he has been in there for about 3 weeks now doing great. He has already doubled in size and in about another 3 weeks, I plan on letting him into the tank with my other fish.

I do not plan on putting any of my future pregant females in the breeder though because that would stress them out way too much. Instead, I purchased several more plants so the fry could hide shortly after being born until I can catch them and move them to the breeder.

Anyway, this is just one option I thought I'd share with you that has worked for me.

Good luck :D