Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   New Fry - Wont eat though (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/new-fry-wont-eat-though-38938/)

TankMAster 03-10-2010 06:23 AM

New Fry - Wont eat though

I just woke up this morning only to find that my newest addition to my breeding stock was shrunk!

After closer observation I found fry!!!

I initially found 13 fry, most of the others may have got eaten by the other mating pair that was in the tank.

3 of the 13 had swimming disorders and died later today...

I tried feeding the fry but I cant see them eat. I fed them crushed flakes and egg yolk but still haven't seen them take a nibble at anything. This is my first ever batch of mollies.

Is it normal for them not to have an appetite after being dropped?

fryup 03-10-2010 06:57 AM

they are born with there own yolk sack...(in there stomack) this should last them between 1-3 days and then they should eat the food your offering them .....good luck :):):)

TankMAster 03-10-2010 10:08 AM

I really never knew this! ...

Thanks. I've read countless websites and stuff. Nothing with this information.

fryup 03-12-2010 12:42 PM

yep.....if you look at fry as soon as there born then there belly are quite full....this is there yolk sack.....i presume your talking about molly fry???? .....have they eaten yet:):):)

Austin 03-12-2010 01:55 PM

Right after being born liverbearers just seem to sit around for a few hours. When I had fry before a lot of them I never really saw eating, but they all lived so apparently they ate... Just put in some crushed food and even if it floats down to the bottom I think they'll eventually eat some of it. :)

TankMAster 03-13-2010 05:24 AM

Yay!... they are all eating and growing rapidly! . . .I can just tell which are the males because they don't have color yet ...

They are 4 days old today and are already over 1 cm! They are so fat too...

Thanks guys

Amriel 03-13-2010 05:48 AM

+1 with fryup Feed them after 5 days or so and are you keeping them in a "Fry" Tank or are they in the Main tank? if so you can leave them alone and fend for themselves they actually leftovers and eat them

Amriel

fryup 03-13-2010 09:10 AM

i always offer fry food from birth because some fry dont have as much "food" (yolk) as others fry do ....:):):)

fryup 03-13-2010 09:11 AM

hang on...????? 4 days and there already over 1cm????? WOT ??????????

TankMAster 03-14-2010 09:16 AM

Yip... they are very big. I even asked my mom to check if they grew bigger or if I was just seeing things and I guess I wasn't seeing things!

They are exactly 1cm ! I just checked.