Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Bamboo

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  shootingstar26 
#1 ·
I was thinking of getting a 4 inch peice of bamboo to put in my tank. I was wondering if there was anything special I needed to do for it like fertilizers or anything. can anybody help me out with this?

#2 ·
I think there was a thread on bamboo a few months back, it was mentioned as a decoration (dried stalks in a SE Asian aquascape) and in that discussion someone mentioned live bamboo growing in their aquarium. If you try a search of "bamboo" in this section of the forum you may track it down. I've forgotten what specifically was mentioned about growing it.

#4 ·
x 1 to what onefish2fish said.
If the bamboo leaves are sticking above water, but the stem is in, it will thrive quite well. But if the leaves are suspended UNDERwater, the plant will ever so slowly rot. I heard they can last up to a year, but no more than that. It would look good for a betta or goldfish in - no need for filtration if you put enough in, they still soak up nitrates and whatnot. =]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.