Tropical Fish Keeping banner

blue lobster

13K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Albert 
#1 ·
hi i have a blue lobster and i need to find out more about them ,does anyone know of a site where i can learn more about them i was just seaching the net and founf a picture he looks like an austrailian yabbie lobster.

#3 ·
thank you for the site. i checked it ,looks more like north american crayfish. i found a picture of mine and im sure hes austrailian.

#8 ·
There is some taxonomy that states there are fresh water lobster but it is still debated as to the actual family from what I have found. There is a true fresh waTer lobster but you would need one huge tank as they get 18+ inches long and are found in Australia. I think there is also a fresh water "lobster" in Scotland in Loche ness but I am not sure if it is a lobster, is truely freshwater or what.

#11 ·
I'm still thinking about your little guy for some reason. Stolen, compliments of AZ garden...

Cherax Blue Lobster

Cherax quadricarinatus "Blue"

a.k.a. Blue Yabbie Lobster, Red-Claw "Blue" Crayfish,

Size: Up to 12" pH: 6.5 - 8.3 , Temp: 72-85, Origin: New Guinea

This is a semi-aggressive omnivore scavenger, that WILL eat all of the left over food your fish miss, as well as detritus and other waste off the bottom of your aquarium. Although this lobster will eat dead or dying fish as well, it is just too slow to catch healthy fish. Colors can change from bright blue or camouflage to a bluish-brown to hide from predators. We'd say these lobsters are easy, if not simple, to keep and care for.

#12 ·
Trishfish said:
I think I read somewhere that they are truly blue crayfish. Maybe a search for that will help.

Yep, try www.bluecrayfish.com. There's a good faq section.
lol i was going to say that :(
yea theres no TRUE freshwater lobsters, they may say lobster but there crayfish.

#13 ·
blue lobsters

hi, i'm new here - trying to figure it all out. i too have a blue lobster which are really just blue crayfish. the saltwater blue lobsters don't actually look like lobsters.. i got a blue cray for my son this last christmas. i was wanting to get a girl but the store told me that they only stock males. n e ways... my son noticed a "strawberry" under it's tail and low and behold it's had 15 babies! my son tells me the crayfish are "a typical?" they change sexes?? what does anyone know about this? once upon a time, i had regular colored crayfish and yes it use to eat my tropicals... this one though has only gone for or gotten one fish in the three months i've had him in only a 10 gal tank. he's shedded twice now in just a two week frame. how often do they shed??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.