Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   API ph up (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/api-ph-up-38870/)

dwayne wade 03-09-2010 09:51 AM

API ph up

Hello, I have no fish in my tank so i can adjust ph quickly but anyone know how long it takes for the ph up raise with this product. My ph was about 6.4ish I need around 7.0. Ty

Bacchus 03-09-2010 03:19 PM

throw the bottle out or take it back. i would not recommend using chemicals to raise your pH. actually, i wouldnt advise trying to adjust your pH at all. most fish will adapt very well and the most important thing is stability. if you are constantly adjusting it, your fish will not handle it well.

if you really need to raise the pH, you can add a piece of crushed coral. that would do the trick and it is all natural and would be more stable...that is my opinion, at least. maybe other people will disagree

JohnnyD44 03-09-2010 04:12 PM

I agree....most fish can adjust to a small shift in pH....trying to alter the natural chemistry of your tank over the long haul will be expensive and more importantly, it's stressful on your fish.

I would recommend trying to find fish which will live comfortably in your natural tank water. Constantly fluxuating pH is more hurtful to fish than a one time adjustment to your level out of the tap.

cerianthus 03-09-2010 04:21 PM

It all depends on what kind of fish!!! I would not keep livebearers in 6.4 for long time with expectation that they will adapt. They may adapt for quite a bit but eventually will experience problems.

As far as quick changes in pH, Go for SLOW Changes.

DO NOT WASTE your money on pH UP by API. USE pure BAKING SODA (BS) instead.

Rather than adding powder to tank (NEVER unless experienced), add and dissolve in new water when performing water changes. How much depends on your tank and tap water thus try small amt per specific volume of new water. For example, 1 leveled teaspoon for 5 Gal of new water???
After adding new water, wait an hour and test to see if pH improved and SO on and on. You should be able to figure out the quantity of BS for your tank thru trials

If you want or need to raise and stablize pH, try crushed corals in small nylon bag in HOB filter but just use it as needed basis.

Byron 03-09-2010 04:21 PM

Agree. Your pH depends upon the water hardness and biological actions in the aquarium. Most tap water has a certain degree of hardness (it varies from place to place) and this acts as a buffer to keep the pH as it is. Chemicals to raise or lower pH will do so immediately, then the water buffers it back, and the result is fluctuating pH. With fish in the tank this is going to cause health problems long-term, it attacks the immune system via stress for one important thing.

The question to be asked is, why do you want a pH of 7? No fish in nature lives in water with a pH of 7, it is either below (acidic soft water fish) or above (livebearers, rift lake cichlids, some others). Some advice still goes around that pH should be neutral (7.0), I assume in the mistaken belief that you can then combine all these fish together and it will suite them. When the fact is, it suits none of them so they all suffer ill health.

If you need to raise the pH and hardness, we can advise how to do it safely. But first, what fish do you want to keep? And do you know the hardness of your tap water? I'm assuming your tap water pH is around 6.4 or is it different?

Byron.

dwayne wade 03-09-2010 05:25 PM

I used the watermill express water go to there website so you know what it is. I read this message too late i already put the chemicals in. Im most likely going to put 2 angels in and a rubber lip pleco and that's it. What temperature and ph level should i keep it. The pet store said there ph level is 7.4 and mine was too low to take fish from 7.4 to 6.0. Ty

Bacchus 03-09-2010 05:27 PM

you can drip acclimate your fish....your water's pH is perfect for angels as is. your fish store's water is a little alkaline for angels. dont trust people that are selling you stuff..... temps can be anywhere from 74-80 thereabouts. i dont think you should worry at all about your pH, but rather how you are going to cycle your tank

Byron 03-09-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwayne wade (Post 341267)
I used the watermill express water go to there website so you know what it is. I read this message too late i already put the chemicals in. Im most likely going to put 2 angels in and a rubber lip pleco and that's it. What temperature and ph level should i keep it. The pet store said there ph level is 7.4 and mine was too low to take fish from 7.4 to 6.0. Ty

Ty,

Don't rush into things, there are issues here that have to be resolved. Can you provide the following please:

I'm assuming you bought water (from Watermill Express) to fill your tank. pH in your tank (and presumably the purchased water) is 6.4, any idea what the hardness is?

What is the pH of your tap water? And the hardness if you know?

I looked at their website, but there is no indication what may be in that water. It may or may not be good for fish. The fact that humans can drink water does not mean fish can live in that water, there may well be minerals in the water at acceptable levels for humans but which would kill fish. They mention 50ppm total dissolved solids, but what are those solids (hypotheetical question, unless of course you know)?

Byron.

Angel079 03-09-2010 06:19 PM

After what you said & done there I'd not put no fish in that tank until after your chem's / pH matter is sorted out properly anything else will likely wind up fatal so let's all help you go through this in a way that'll be better for fish. And then after that pls don't use these chems any more on your tank its just gonna do nothing but cause troubles for you long term.

LMychajluk 03-09-2010 07:20 PM

Listen to these people! I started a tank in Jan that I thought I needed to get to a particular pH. A couple of doses of ph-Down and and OD on StressCoat within the first 2 weeks and I'm still having trouble with it. If I were you, since there are no fish yet, just do a 100% water change and go from there...