Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Would this be a good stocking idea (multiple male livebearers?) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/would-good-stocking-idea-multiple-male-388530/)

willertac 04-26-2014 11:21 PM

Would this be a good stocking idea (multiple male livebearers?)
 
For a hypothetical 125 gallon tank filtered by 2 AquaClear 110 filters, moderately planted (including marimo moss balls), covered in sand, filled in by driftwood, how much is too much?

My idea:
10 zebra danios
10 skirt tetras
5 male swordtails
5 male platys
5 male balloon mollies
7 dwarf gouramis
2 albino bristlenose plecos (or one and a regular old pleco)
10 ghost shrimp
4 mystery snails.

First of all, is that too many fish, or can/should I add more (for schooling purposes)? and second of all, my other main worry, is the three livebearing species from my list. Is having all males of all three bad? I know mollies can't breed with them, but will they all fight even if no female is introduced? The last time I decided to go all female, I ended up with 25 more platys that I bought, but my one platy did lose some weight. And yet another time I went mixed, I ended up with at least a hundred mollies. Therefore, if there is no possibility of it being bought pregnant, or impregnating another, I'd rather have that.

And also, another skirt tetra and an ADF might also be added if I am the one who takes home the fish from the environmental club at my school, as no one is there to take care of them during the summer. (I also had been given a new job, created a month or so ago, relating to "animal husbandry" because I apparently know a lot about fish, and was told that this year, the year I was in charge of the tank, was the only year in which the fish have survived for this long :-D. Knock on wood, or whatever you would say.)

Well, if I happen to receive this tank and filters, it would be an awesome addition to my current tiny-in-comparison 10gs and such.

Thanks!

jaysee 04-26-2014 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willertac (Post 4371346)



My idea:

10 zebra danios

10 skirt tetras

5 male swordtails

5 male platys

5 male balloon mollies

7 dwarf gouramis

2 albino bristlenose plecos (or one and a regular old pleco)

10 ghost shrimp

4 mystery snails.



In a 125 you could easily keep 20 of each of the schooling fish.

For the livebearers, you can start with the 5 of each and see how that goes for you. Livebearers aren't really my thing though so stay tuned to what others have to say about it.

You can easily keep 2 BN plecos in a 125.

10 ghost shrimp - you will never see. I honestly wouldn't do less than 50.

Regarding the dwarf gouramis, I wouldn't try to keep more than 2-3.

willertac 04-27-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 4371498)
In a 125 you could easily keep 20 of each of the schooling fish.

For the livebearers, you can start with the 5 of each and see how that goes for you. Livebearers aren't really my thing though so stay tuned to what others have to say about it.

You can easily keep 2 BN plecos in a 125.

10 ghost shrimp - you will never see. I honestly wouldn't do less than 50.

Regarding the dwarf gouramis, I wouldn't try to keep more than 2-3.

How about Honey Gouramis, how many do you suggest, I heard they were more peaceful.

henningc 04-29-2014 01:09 AM

The dwarf gouramis will likely be a problem in those numbers. You could go with a trio of leeris or lavender. I would suggest that you go with say 8 female 3 males sparkling or other pigmy gourami. They are not nearly as aggressive and color up nicely. You could also get away with adding one leeri or similar size or dwarf gourami as long as you have floating cover.

You could expand the danio school and maybe add some longfinned and gold zebras. Celestrial Danios would really make a statment. Just stay away from giant danios.

As for the skirt tetras, not my favorite, I'd go with long finned as they swim slower and therefore are less of fin nippers. If you ditch the skirts, I'd recomment 12-16 lemon tetras, 10-12 head and tail lights and 12-14 penguins. You could also add a small school of 8-10 rummy nose or sicssor rasboras.

The livebearer males will be just fine. I'd be careful with the mollys as they are more disease prone in water with little or no salt content. You may want to consider 10-12, maybe more, Endlers males. You could get away with a few Endlers females as a natural food source for the other fish, if not least killies would work great for that and you could add 25 female least killies with almost zero bioload. They have fry 1-2 very tiny at a time for several days each 6 weeks.

As for plecos, don't go with a common as they get too big and will each shrimp and such. Bristle nose or some of the more exotic types that don't grow over 6"-8" will work. The ghost shrimp will likely just disappear in that size tank. Seeing that shrimp color is not too important, you may wish to contact the breeders on Aquabid and see how much say 75-150 color culled RCS would run you. Hansypatty68 can help you out. You will also likely need some corys o keep things tidy. I'd go with pandas or skunks or both as they stay small and won't bother the med-large shrimp. The Mystry Snails will work fine, but a few MTS would keep the sand cleaner.

Best of luck and P.M. me if you get the tank and stock it.

willertac 04-29-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henningc (Post 4383330)
The dwarf gouramis will likely be a problem in those numbers. You could go with a trio of leeris or lavender. I would suggest that you go with say 8 female 3 males sparkling or other pigmy gourami. They are not nearly as aggressive and color up nicely. You could also get away with adding one leeri or similar size or dwarf gourami as long as you have floating cover.

You could expand the danio school and maybe add some longfinned and gold zebras. Celestrial Danios would really make a statment. Just stay away from giant danios.

As for the skirt tetras, not my favorite, I'd go with long finned as they swim slower and therefore are less of fin nippers. If you ditch the skirts, I'd recomment 12-16 lemon tetras, 10-12 head and tail lights and 12-14 penguins. You could also add a small school of 8-10 rummy nose or sicssor rasboras.

The livebearer males will be just fine. I'd be careful with the mollys as they are more disease prone in water with little or no salt content. You may want to consider 10-12, maybe more, Endlers males. You could get away with a few Endlers females as a natural food source for the other fish, if not least killies would work great for that and you could add 25 female least killies with almost zero bioload. They have fry 1-2 very tiny at a time for several days each 6 weeks.

As for plecos, don't go with a common as they get too big and will each shrimp and such. Bristle nose or some of the more exotic types that don't grow over 6"-8" will work. The ghost shrimp will likely just disappear in that size tank. Seeing that shrimp color is not too important, you may wish to contact the breeders on Aquabid and see how much say 75-150 color culled RCS would run you. Hansypatty68 can help you out. You will also likely need some corys o keep things tidy. I'd go with pandas or skunks or both as they stay small and won't bother the med-large shrimp. The Mystry Snails will work fine, but a few MTS would keep the sand cleaner.

Best of luck and P.M. me if you get the tank and stock it.

Well, I would actually love some colorful shrimp, I just don't have anywhere near me that supplies other than ghost.

Wiggyl 05-02-2014 06:16 PM

have you plugged all of this into aqadvisor.com ? That's pretty great when it comes to stocking percentages and addressing any potential conflicts

my only two cents is I wouldn't put the ADF in. First of all the height of the water should be less than 12-15" because they go to the surface to breathe air. Second, they would be terrified of all of the movement in a tank with so many animals. Maybe other people have happy ADFs in larger tanks, but mine is constantly hiding in a 3g section of a 20g divided tank, so I'm not sure he would be happy in a big tank like yours.

willertac 05-05-2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggyl (Post 4401770)
have you plugged all of this into aqadvisor.com ? That's pretty great when it comes to stocking percentages and addressing any potential conflicts

my only two cents is I wouldn't put the ADF in. First of all the height of the water should be less than 12-15" because they go to the surface to breathe air. Second, they would be terrified of all of the movement in a tank with so many animals. Maybe other people have happy ADFs in larger tanks, but mine is constantly hiding in a 3g section of a 20g divided tank, so I'm not sure he would be happy in a big tank like yours.

The frog does well in a 20g with a glofish skirt tetra, but what you have presented to me has been taken into consideration. So if I do take him home, is a 5g Betta tank a good place for him? My Betta doesn't bother the snail in there, in fact, he gets mad when I move the snail :razz:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2