Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   Paint I could use on decor? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/paint-i-could-use-decor-38814/)

Angel079 03-08-2010 09:10 AM

Paint I could use on decor?

This is gotta be the dimmest question ever and was I to read it I'd prop advise not to simple cause (obviously) I donno myself :lol:

With my new 30g I got a piece plastic decor; I really don't care for plastic in my tank period but this artificial stump/root looks awesome for a planted "Tree" I wanna built. However that thing is white-green colored is there any pain I could SAFELY use that will not break down under water to paint that thing brown ??????

First I thought NO WAY but on the second thought; there's gotta be some kinda paint manufactures use on this plastic decor you can buy in the stores so maybe there is a way I could use it and not trash it after all?:-?

1077 03-08-2010 09:30 AM

[quote=Angel079;340387]This is gotta be the dimmest question ever and was I to read it I'd prop advise not to simple cause (obviously) I donno myself :lol:

With my new 30g I got a piece plastic decor; I really don't care for plastic in my tank period but this artificial stump/root looks awesome for a planted "Tree" I wanna built. However that thing is white-green colored is there any pain I could SAFELY use that will not break down under water to paint that thing brown ??????

First I thought NO WAY but on the second thought; there's gotta be some kinda paint manufactures use on this plastic decor you can buy in the stores so maybe there is a way I could use it and not trash it after all?:-?

I have a similar artificial stump that is a god awful yellow and brown. Am thinking of attaching some mesh to it with fishing line and trying to get some java moss to take hold when i get around to setting up the palnted tank. I too contemplated painting it but am too scared to use paint.

Angel079 03-08-2010 09:51 AM

1077 I hear ya. Maybe someone has a clever advise for us or I will find something substantial online about this once I have some spare time today.
I mean there's gotta be something if you look at the color variety all these plastic decors and plastic plants come in the store....
Otherwise I already figured I'd roughen the "root" with harsh sandpaper; that'll give java moss enough to grip on to then (so you skip the mesh part), so that may also be a opinion for you :-)

LisaC144 03-08-2010 10:19 AM

Maybe you can email a manufacturer like Tetra who makes many plastic aquarium ornaments and ask them if no one can seem to help you here...Just a suggestion.

1077 03-08-2010 10:31 AM

Good points Angel, and Lisa.My own thoughts are that different colors of plastic are possibly poured into a mold and then baked rather than painted but I don't know that.:roll:
Lot's of stuff I don't know but wonder about.:lol:

Angel079 03-08-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 340417)
Lot's of stuff I don't know but wonder about.:lol:

+1 right there :lol:

I'll see what I can find out and let you know!!

redchigh 03-08-2010 11:27 AM

Well I have too ideas. (my avatar is there for a reason)

1, is go buy something called "magic plastic"
they are strips of plastic that are sold in hobby stores...
If it's heated (about 100 degrees F or so) it gets soft and pliable-
it makes sense that the hotter it gets the softer it would get.

Just cover it with the plastic, and dip it in some cold water to make it harden instantly.
You can then point a hair-dryer on high heat onto it to soften it and smooth it out with your hands.
They sell it in a wide variety of colors, I'd reccomend getting some brown, black, and dark green and mizing them together.

If it was me, I'd heat them all in super hot water seperately, mold them into "snakes" and wrap them around the stump in coils, alternating. Then use the blowdryer or heat source to soften them, and smear the colors around with your fingers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Second idea, is instead of looking for paint for decor, look for paint made for eating utensils. (I know they make paints for decorating dinner plates)
If it's dishwasher safe, oven/microwave safe, and okay to eat off of, it's probably more than safe enough for your fishies.
(just look at aquarium silicone- it's also the only FDA approved sealant for food contact)

Actually, there's another idea. Paint it, and then cover it with a thin coat of aquarium silicon. two thin coats and you theorectically could use any paint you want, or as an added insurance for the utensil paint.
(They might sell colored aquarium silicone- there's another idea.)

Since you've helped me a LOT, maybe I can help you now.
Here are some links-

http://www.ronjoseph.com/Q&A/B1201_f...y_coatings.htm

Many of the web sites he links to have a "contact us" link, and I know Carboline has an option to ask for a product reccomendation.
As far as minimum Qty, I'm not sure... Could always paint your kitchen sink with it afterwards. lol.

This seems to be a good discussion on aquarium paints-
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...001912569.html

And someone describing how they "make" aquarium decor... included painting and sealing.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/46g_construct.htm

----------------------------------------

Just got another idea that might be the best...
Just cover it in aquarium silicone and roll it around in some colored aquarium sand/gravel.
Would give it a nice "textured" look.

Whatever you do, If you have an extra aquarium filter, I'd submerse your work of art underwater with the filter running and loaded up with fresh activated carbon.
(in a fishless tank) Just to be on the safe side. Probably no need though. You can trust everything you read on the internet. ;)

bearwithfish 03-08-2010 01:44 PM

i was watching a vid the other day and the guy uses Krylon in his tanks... as it bonds to plastic i think it would be fine after a few days drying time.....

Angel079 03-09-2010 08:26 AM

Dang guys you're my hero's ...so many ideas WOW.... I actually hand' thought about the food "grade" coloring at all that makes sense thou and I could leave it out in the sun dry & air out for a while its not like I'm in a super rush with the next set up (still need to figure out exactly what I wanna do).

Wow lots ideas now I just gotta go shopping see what I find around here (which is not gonna be easy in farm town lol)

redchigh 03-09-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 341016)
Dang guys you're my hero's ...so many ideas WOW.... I actually hand' thought about the food "grade" coloring at all that makes sense thou and I could leave it out in the sun dry & air out for a while its not like I'm in a super rush with the next set up (still need to figure out exactly what I wanna do).

Wow lots ideas now I just gotta go shopping see what I find around here (which is not gonna be easy in farm town lol)

Farm town eh?
Look for a paint for the inside of potable drinking water tanks.
In farm towns I'd imagine water wells are common, and so people would probably have some well resevoirs. look for a paint for THAT.