Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Tell me about Glowlight Tetra's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/tell-me-about-glowlight-tetras-38799/)

Angel079 03-07-2010 09:24 PM

Tell me about Glowlight Tetra's

I seen Glowlights back when I researched Tetra's for my Tetra tank online but they looked quite 'dull' and I actually seen them live for the 1st time today and they are indeed very pretty fish.

Are they really naturally this vivid in coloration or is that yet another 'man made' fish?

Do they school well with others or are they somewhat aggressive/ fin nipping anything to worry about?

LisaC144 03-07-2010 09:59 PM

Ahh perfect. I will await a response too. However, I did read that their coloring is natural and not man-made. So that is good!

Mean Harri 03-07-2010 10:01 PM

I believe they are indeed natural. No man made colors. They are the typical Tetra. Shoaling fish, peaceful, non fin nipping fish.

Angel079 03-07-2010 10:50 PM

They just looked extremely orange-vivid today when I seen them I mean VERY.

I suppose thou I'd have to make a decision between them and the Cardinals; not sure I could add a group of both to the existing stock (8 Cory cats; 10 Rummy nose; 7 Empeor Tetra..so both groups on top of that I donno?!)

JasonI 03-07-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 340179)
I seen Glowlights back when I researched Tetra's for my Tetra tank online but they looked quite 'dull' and I actually seen them live for the 1st time today and they are indeed very pretty fish.

Are they really naturally this vivid in coloration or is that yet another 'man made' fish?

Do they school well with others or are they somewhat aggressive/ fin nipping anything to worry about?

Actually they are Zebra Danios (Genetically Modified). I also thought they were Tetras which is what they are listed in many pet stores. If you google this you will find out that they truely are in the Danio family. I had them for a while very active fish as well peaceful. Glo-lights come in green, yellow, pink/ red, and even orange colors. They glow under Blacklight condition. If you google this fish under Glo light Danios you will find out more inofmation on them. I believe they are not fin nipper's in my experience with them.

Angel079 03-07-2010 11:00 PM

What now? Danio's are Cyprinidae Family; These Glolight are Characidae family....Now I am confused a lil :-)

There's Glo-Fish which are man made glowing danios. Then there's the glolight Tetra I am asking about......That's 2 different fish just so we're all on the same page here!?

JasonI 03-07-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 340239)
What now? Danio's are Cyprinidae Family; These Glolight are Characidae family....Now I am confused a lil :-)

There's Glo-Fish which are man made glowing danios. Then there's the glolight Tetra I am asking about......That's 2 different fish just so we're all on the same page here!?

I suppose I read into this incorrectly there is also the Tetra I thought you were speaking about the Glo-Fish. Which you already know is a man made fish.

Mean Harri 03-07-2010 11:34 PM

I think Jason is thinking of Glo-fish. And they are nasty. Neon fish is, well, Spongebob-ish.
Glo-light/head & tailight Tetras are different than the Spongebob fish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish

1077 03-08-2010 02:29 AM

I am keeping glowlight tetras at the moment and they are a peaceful tetra that's colors are really vivid over dark substrate and not too bright lighting. They are rather shy in my view, and frequent the lower regions of the aquarium. I would suspect a nicely planted tank with dark substrate, would make them feel quite comfortable and colors would be more vivd as well.
Their colors are natural .

iamntbatman 03-08-2010 03:39 AM

I had a school of these guys a while back. They kind of remind of neons in general behavior. Mine were also jumpers. I had a few of them jump out of the bag during acclimation.