Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Fish recommendations (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/fish-recommendations-38795/)

LisaC144 03-07-2010 08:52 PM

Fish recommendations

Right now I have 5 black skirt tetras. I recently increased the school from 3 to 5. Fin-nipping wasactually fairly rare with 3, but it has actually gotten MORE aggressive since increasing the school to 5 :hmm:. Doesn't make much sense to me because I always thought increasing helps curb aggression. Anyway, I'm going to ask my LFS if I can trade them in for store credit or other fish. I'm looking for
something with a little more color than the black skirts provide. This is a standard 55g tank.

Current stock:
3 Angelfish
9 Cardinal tetra
5 black skirt (going back to LFS)
Will be 6-8 cories

I was thinking a different school of tetra or maybe even hatchetfish?? OR will 1 more Angelfish work if the blackskirts go back? Just throwing ideas around right now. Any suggestions for me??

Angel079 03-07-2010 09:10 PM

I'd honestly trade them in too.
Hmmm well I LOVE my Emperor Tetra that's outta question so I'd suggest you these :-) Or the Kerri Tetra..just googel images you'll understand. Others smaller and pretty that I really felt in love with are the Rummy noses. Another neat bugger I found today was Glowlight Tetra's; look super dul when you look them up online but boy are they some colorful (orange silver mix) cute lil buggers!

LisaC144 03-07-2010 09:50 PM

What about Harquin rasbora's? I did see Glowlights. I like them. Gonna Google the Emperor...

Angel079 03-07-2010 10:54 PM

Those are very nice too; get really nice coloration when you feed them pumpkin every once in a while :-) I try to remember when I had mine I had something like 10-12 of them and they school real nicely ALWAYS together but where kinda skiddish if fast moving fish where in the same tank.

Angel079 03-07-2010 10:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my Emporer not the best shots I ever took but will give you an idea. They have stunning blue eyes and a very unique body shape IMO I love them. Kerri's look the same just more purple where's these are more shimmering turquoise/blueish.

iamntbatman 03-08-2010 03:37 AM

I vote for rummynoses. Great looking fish plus it's cool to have fish that school so tightly.

1077 03-08-2010 05:25 AM

Were it me,, I might consider lemon tetras or one of my favorites,, Bleeding Heart tetras. Photos you see of these fish don't really do them justice and once settled and comfortable with water,,they are peaceful and colorful fish. Bleeding hearts also live quite a while. Iv'e had nine for around three years and understand they can live much longer. They also grow a bit large for Angelfish to consider them as snacks.;-)

LisaC144 03-08-2010 08:52 AM

I like the Bleeding Heart Tetra too. It will all depend on what my LFS has in stock at the time. I already have cardinal tetras, so I am trying to find a fish that won't get lost with them. Maybe a slightly different shape than the Cardinal. They definitely had Rummynose's in stock when I was there yesterday.

Angel079 03-08-2010 10:50 AM

Rummy's also often look pretty poor at the stores; but one's brought home settled in and on top if you have black / dark gravel like me they look so awesome but I really found with them the group shouldn't be smaller then 10 or more otherwise they are pretty skiddish; when I had the mystery AWOL Rummy's and was down to 7 all skiddish add 3 more and whoop all up front- all active....

LisaC144 03-08-2010 11:16 AM

I do have black gravel. This is for my 55g that I just converted to planted :-) I like the rummynoses, alot. My only thought is that I might want a fish with a different shape than the Cardinal's that I already have. Just so they don't blend in and get sort of "lost". Does this make sense?