Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   125g filtration? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/125g-filtration-387930/)

willertac 04-25-2014 09:22 PM

125g filtration?

I'm going to be 16 soon (:thumbsup:) and I was given 3 options for celebrating it. The whole sweet 16 "gala" was shot off the table, as I feel it unnecessary to have such a big event for a birthday. Then it was down to a party somewhere. A party anywhere could cost from $300-$400+, but they said that anything I wanted to do was fine, pretty much. And option 3, I have a family party like any other year, and the saved money could be spent on a big gift. And by big gift, I had long, tall, and heavy in mind. Perhaps 125 gallons of water in a glass container?

In the pet store nearest to my house, I found one for what I think is cheap for its size. It costs $299.99 and the welded stand is $99.99. In total, $400 (plus tax). Good deal? I would consider it so. Sure, I would have to supply adequate filtration, the glass covers, decor, and all the fish, but that can be bought with what my family gives me, as I rarely request anything and the go-to gift with us is money.

All the possibilities! A large community of fish I could never before have had in my size tanks! I would go fresh, "Why fresh? you would have so much room?!?" well, I'm already working on salt, and I have everything set for a 55g so far, plus, I love freshwater fish.

How would one even go about filtering that monster? If anyone can give me insight to that, that would be great. And of course, I will say, the cheapest and most efficient possible is appreciated. I know it would also depend on the kind of fish, but in general. I plan to not get any livebearers, as I have had multiple... infestations...

And if you want to give me experiences with large tanks, that's welcome too.
...and I hope my 125g seed was planted...

jaysee 04-25-2014 09:29 PM

One of my 125s has an XP4 and a sunsun 304, and the other 125 has an XP3, sunsun 303 and a sunsun 302.

Tolak 04-25-2014 09:58 PM

Drill it & run a sump, $100 if you do it right. Jehmco has 1000 gph pumps for $60, a 30 gallon tank is $30 when the buck a gallon sale is running, half that for used. Some plexiglass for building the sump, a tube of silicone & some hardware store tubing & you've got a filter.

willertac 04-25-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolak (Post 4365434)
Drill it & run a sump, $100 if you do it right. Jehmco has 1000 gph pumps for $60, a 30 gallon tank is $30 when the buck a gallon sale is running, half that for used. Some plexiglass for building the sump, a tube of silicone & some hardware store tubing & you've got a filter.

But I think its tempered glass, no drilling. Then I would need to buy overflows as well, costing much more. Is a freshwater sump set up like a saltwater one, like with the skimmer, the refugium, the return, and all the piping?

Tolak 04-25-2014 10:30 PM

Unless it's a custom tank the bottom will be the only thing tempered. A pair of 3/4" bulkhead fittings with run you $11, no need for a skimmer or any of that other marine related gear. A pair of overflows to return to the sump, a feed off the pump in the sump to the tank, you've got a freshwater sump filter. Find someone nearby like me who will drill the tank for a cup of coffee & you're good to go.

I run a 150 gallon tub outdoors during the summer, same pump with a 5 gallon bucket of gravel in the tub. I run a pair of those tubs in my fishroom, 3 sponge & 3 box filters in each. These are breeding setups, you're probably looking for something more visually appealing, if I were looking for that it would be a sump. You can also hide your heater in the sump, gives it a real clean hardware free look.

willertac 04-25-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolak (Post 4365594)
Unless it's a custom tank the bottom will be the only thing tempered. A pair of 3/4" bulkhead fittings with run you $11, no need for a skimmer or any of that other marine related gear. A pair of overflows to return to the sump, a feed off the pump in the sump to the tank, you've got a freshwater sump filter. Find someone nearby like me who will drill the tank for a cup of coffee & you're good to go.

I run a 150 gallon tub outdoors during the summer, same pump with a 5 gallon bucket of gravel in the tub. I run a pair of those tubs in my fishroom, 3 sponge & 3 box filters in each. These are breeding setups, you're probably looking for something more visually appealing, if I were looking for that it would be a sump. You can also hide your heater in the sump, gives it a real clean hardware free look.

According to this, Aquarium Sump Filters | Fish Tank Sump Filter Design , it is much simpler. Interesting...

willertac 04-25-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolak (Post 4365594)

Also, would having a sump be better with a gravel bottom or a sand bottom?

Tolak 04-25-2014 11:22 PM

Doesn't matter much either way.