Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New driftwood exposed to soap, what should I do? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-driftwood-exposed-soap-what-should-38729/)

Herbicide 03-06-2010 11:25 PM

New driftwood exposed to soap, what should I do?

Hello everyone! :wave:
I'm new to this forum, and I have a question.
I just bought a nice new piece of Malaysian sinking driftwood for my 20g freshwater tank. I was soaking it in a plastic bin in my bathtub so it wouldn't turn my tank yellow, and one of my housemates took a shower (duh, what did I think was going to happen) and left the tub in there. When I found it, the water was kinda sudsy and I know that her shampoo/bodywash runoff must have gotten in there. I'm bummed and I don't want the soap hurting my fish. If I rinse it a lot and soak it in fresh water for a few days, can I put it in there?
Thanks guys!
Dana

1077 03-07-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herbicide (Post 339575)
Hello everyone! :wave:
I'm new to this forum, and I have a question.
I just bought a nice new piece of Malaysian sinking driftwood for my 20g freshwater tank. I was soaking it in a plastic bin in my bathtub so it wouldn't turn my tank yellow, and one of my housemates took a shower (duh, what did I think was going to happen) and left the tub in there. When I found it, the water was kinda sudsy and I know that her shampoo/bodywash runoff must have gotten in there. I'm bummed and I don't want the soap hurting my fish. If I rinse it a lot and soak it in fresh water for a few days, can I put it in there?
Thanks guys!
Dana

Were it me,I would toss the driftwood away and chaulk it up as lesson learned. Would soak new piece of driftwood in rubbermaid tub or bucket in my room or away from common areas shared by your housemates.

Mean Harri 03-07-2010 12:40 AM

If you caught it right away why wouldn't it be ok? If you have a pot that it would fit in I would boil it. SOme people boil the dw to get the tannins out faster. As long as it wasn't exposed to soap for a long time I can't see why it wouldn't be ok.

1077 03-07-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Harri (Post 339600)
If you caught it right away why wouldn't it be ok? If you have a pot that it would fit in I would boil it. SOme people boil the dw to get the tannins out faster. As long as it wasn't exposed to soap for a long time I can't see why it wouldn't be ok.

Wood absorbs. Perhaps boiling or soaking would remove the soap, perhaps some would remain? Soap and fishes could present problem unnecessarily.

Herbicide 03-07-2010 02:21 AM

I felt so dumb for leaving it in the shower, believe me.
Yeah, I figured out 15 minutes after she got out of the shower. And I mean, the soap would have really been diluted. I intend to soak it for a few more days anyway.
The bummer is it's a really nice piece.
It's a tricky dilemma, that's why I asked.
Btw, thanks for the quick reply guys :)
Anyone else have an opinion? I've got Yes: 1 No: 1
I guess if it's a tie I'd have to err on the side of caution?

Austin 03-07-2010 02:50 AM

I believe that is harri's point... if it wasn't exposed to the soap long enough it might not have absorbed much. 15 minutes isn't much time for it to soak in if you removed it immediately. It may be ok if you wash it very good (not only soak it... I believe you soak it so that it sinks--- not to clean it?) with very hot boiling water. Then soak it a bit more...

iamntbatman 03-07-2010 03:55 AM

I'd boil it for a couple of hours at least. Even then, there's no guarantee that it would be safe.

aunt kymmie 03-07-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 339638)
I'd boil it for a couple of hours at least. Even then, there's no guarantee that it would be safe.

I'd do the same. I'd do a couple of serious boils and if I saw no foam/suds or film in the water after a few boils I'd use it.

Herbicide 03-07-2010 08:10 PM

Alright. I'll try to boil it in my pasta pot. Except... I wash the pasta pot with soap too.

small echinda 03-07-2010 10:15 PM

What would soap do to the fish/water?