Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   please help quick. cichlids something wrong (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/please-help-quick-cichlids-something-wrong-38681/)

lynchmob 03-06-2010 05:58 AM

please help quick. cichlids something wrong

I have recently introduced 6 parrots, (range of sizes) and 10 malawi cichlids. after 2 weeks of happiness now i have had 3 deaths, all malawi's. and the parrots keep lying on the bottom. i checked my parameters and my amonia was high so i performed a massive water change and the amonia is now 0. but still massive problems. they just want to sleep. i want to do everyhthing i can to help them pull through. i keep going near them with a stick to stimulate them to swim instead of lying on the bottom. what else can i do?

i have identified they also have ich. i have marine salt if needed. but i dont think this is the major cause as they dont yet have any breathing probs.

should i do more water changes? i think i have done over 60% so far?

Grimmjow 03-06-2010 07:12 AM

16 fish at once?

lynchmob 03-06-2010 07:18 AM

no over 2 weeks. still too quick i know.
what can i do to help the fish through????

Redknee 03-06-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynchmob (Post 338922)
no over 2 weeks. still too quick i know.
what can i do to help the fish through????

Pray.
Within the next 2 weeks i see another 8-10 dead. Why? Because the water did not have time to cycle.
What you can do is minimize damage by taking those fish to a friend that has a good aquarium for it or back to the shop and let your aquarium do it's cycle. Water changes will do 0 help unless the water has been dechlorinated, actually it will do more harm than good by killing the bacteria that did manage to form in those very short weeks.
You never add 16 cichlids at once, they produce way to much dirt! They eat a lot and what goes in must come out!
You also forgot to mention what size the tank is, what the other water parameters are, what filter you use, what temperature does the water have, is it planted or not, do you use fertilizers, etc.
The itch can be cured by turning the heat up to 30 degrees celsius for about... 5-7 days, that's how i always got it away from the fish.
Also STOP the stick thing! you are not helping. When you are sick and feeling bad do you enjoy someone pushing you with a stick just to make you move? No.
And don't feed to much, lots of food = lots of dirt = bad water.

lynchmob 03-06-2010 04:04 PM

i did declorinate the water. 40l of it was RO anyway. I foolishly thought that aging the tank for 2 weeks with small amounts of food in it would cycle the tank sufficiently.

the tank is 300l, ph is 7.6 -7.8. ammonia nitrite are now 0 , nitrate has small reading. i use an external ehiem canister filter. water is now about 28 increasing it slowly. no plant or fertilisers.

i fear that allowing them to lye there for prolonged periods they will get worse but i have stopped annoying them now. would the addition of salt help? anything i can do to nurse them through?

thanks in advance for your help.

Redknee 03-06-2010 04:31 PM

I would advice adding drops of Sera Fishtamins to the food they get. It seemed to help my fish when they had a itch problem. Also try adding some oxigen by a... buble stone, mine enjoyed staying in the bubble bath while they had the itch, prolly made them feel better, dunno.
Food in the water is not enough to cycle 300L of water in 2 weeks. No way no how.
That tank needs a good month atlest to be able to have fish in. What you can now do as i said is take the fish somewhere else and keep them there till the cycle is done or you will have more dead.
And even at 300L 16 of them is to much, those 6 parrots alone are nuff for that tank, remember u need to keep it ballanced. Besides they all grow and soon you'll have a tank that looks a bit busy.
You also need plants mate, well you don't need but they would help a lot by consuming some of the nasty stuff in the water.
P.S How many l/h can your filter pump?

lynchmob 03-06-2010 07:57 PM

i think your prob right, but i have nowhere to home them. could i put them in a makeshift hospital tank? i have a shed full of tanks and bits? first thing i did was put 2 air stones in.

rsn48 03-06-2010 08:30 PM

Lots of water changes and add some hornwort (plant), even if it is floating, to your aquarium. Hornworts thrive on nitrates which will help in the short run to reduce of toxic shock you have put your tank and fish through. You've made the classic mistake almost all beginner aquariust make so don't beat yourself up too much; I did the same many decades ago, about five to be exact. I still feel guilty about my lack of research when setting up my first tank; you've learned your lesson.

Learn about cycling a tank, you have a window of learning here.

lynchmob 03-09-2010 04:58 AM

whats going on now???

Ok so i seemed to have had the worst 5 deaths, things seem to be looking up. my parrots have perked up. I have done exstensive water changes and added lots of salt. i measured the salinity at 2.5 which i guess might be too high. my main concern is that the parrots are staying at the top of the tank allot. i guesss that is due to a change in boyency? well that me know what you think. is the high salinity a risk to the fish???

Redknee 03-09-2010 05:39 AM

Why would you add that much salt? Trying to start a reef with parrots?
Stop adding salt, i can simply not see the benefits of that much salt in a freshwater tank.