Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Introducing algae to a newer tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/introducing-algae-newer-tank-38663/)

Castro235 03-05-2010 08:07 PM

Introducing algae to a newer tank?

Hi, I've been doing some digging online since my unfortunate purchase of the 6 goldfish and the 1.5 gallon tank.

Currently(although its still very new) They seem to be doing well in their new 10 gallon tank(Which is very much a temporary housing for them)

My question is about introducting algae into their environment.

The setup has only been running for a day or so, so it is still very much in the cycling process, it has the 6 goldfish ranging from 1-3.5 inches, 2 fake plants, and 3 live plants(which apparently aren't submersible, but have had mixed results living underwater, they are peacock ferns)

It also has a small airstone making lots of nice bubbles in about 1/3 of the tank towards the end, and an aqueon 10(10-20 gallon) filter.

The substrate is just some leftover gravel someone never used, and I am unsure of what it is.

What I'm curious about, is reading around about making algae, mostly for catfish, by leaving a rock or ornament, or something similar in a bowl of water in the sunlight, then introducing the algae's up item into the aquarium.

I was wondering if this would be a bad idea for some reason, or if it could potentially help with the cycling and bacterial growth of the tank, or if it would simply leave me with an algae covered rock in my tank, with no benefits or cons.

I am very interested in doing this to help liven up the tank a bit, but as I am very new, I would love some feedback or comments from the fine folks here who actually know what they're doing.

Thanks for any help,
Anthony

bex101 03-05-2010 08:25 PM

Unless you have a fish that needs the algae I wouldn't think you would purposely add it. It just will mean more cleaning for you, and I don't think it would help the cycle process at all. Your better off adding bottled bacteria to jump start the process.

Castro235 03-05-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bex101 (Post 338698)
Unless you have a fish that needs the algae I wouldn't think you would purposely add it. It just will mean more cleaning for you, and I don't think it would help the cycle process at all. Your better off adding bottled bacteria to jump start the process.

Fair enough, thats why I figured I'd ask as it seemed like there might be a problem with it.

It's mostly for if it could help the cycling, partially because I think I would like the look of an algae covered rock in there(I'm one of the fans of algae in medium sizes, so having it on the sides and having to clean it isn't a big bother to me)

Poking around a bit online makes it seem as though the goldfish might enjoy having a little bit of algae to eat, so i also wasn't sure if that might make it a good thing.

I also would be tempted with the idea of a catfish or two, as it seems like there are mixed results on them being happy for years, or sometimes eating the slime from the goldfish.

The temperature is constant 71-72 degrees, so it seems like it would be suitable for both types of fish from what has been read, but I would rather ask a few people who know, than trust an online article or so.

So I guess the biggest questions I should really be asking would be

Will it have a negative effect on the water or fish health, and
Will the goldfish eat it, or enjoy it, and finally
Possibility of adding a few catfish to the tank(more leaning towards no for overpopulation anyway)

Angel079 03-05-2010 09:39 PM

Algae only then develops when your tank is out of balance, you do not purposely wanna throw your tank out of balance :-)

To cover the green look in a tank most of us go for live plants; looks real nice lol check out my planted tanks here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...hp?userid=1029

Castro235 03-05-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 338751)
Algae only then develops when your tank is out of balance, you do not purposely wanna throw your tank out of balance :-)

To cover the green look in a tank most of us go for live plants; looks real nice lol check out my planted tanks here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...hp?userid=1029

All algae is bad?

It was starting to look like having some green algae was a sign of a healthy tank.

Guess I'll skip it then.

iamntbatman 03-06-2010 03:41 AM

It's not bad but it can be unsightly and hard to keep under control. In healthy planted tanks you'll usually have a couple types of more "substantial" algae growing in the edges of plant leaves and on driftwood and rocks. Goldfish might eat some algae but I think purposefully introducing it to a heavily stocked, non-planted tank would result in a tank overrun with algae.

I'm not aware of any commonly-kept algae-eating catfish that would do well in the lower temperatures you've got there. Plus the tank is already quite heavily stocked and algae-eating catfish tend to be pretty big waste producers themselves.

Castro235 03-06-2010 07:50 AM

The waste production sounds like I'll stay away from putting another in, even in the larger tank(since it probably won't be larger than 40 gallons at best)

If it's likely to be that rapid once the rocks in there, I guess I'll skip it for now.

Austin 03-06-2010 08:01 AM

To jumpstart cycling personally I'd take some filter media from one of my healthy cycled tanks and put it into the filter of my new tank. I think you got the 10g from a friend right? Do they have any other larger fish tanks? (lol usually people with one tank end up with more? @_@) Also as mentioned algae is ugly and can cover your tank in no time to the point you can barely see your fish. If you let it go too long you can get some very hard to get off algae on the glass. (I have some in my 29g tank and it would take a razor to get it off... it's been there for a year+ and I don't have any other algae *knock on wood*.) I wouldn't introduce it to your tank. In new fish tanks you're likely to get an algae bloom anyways so don't speed it up.

Castro235 03-06-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 338941)
To jumpstart cycling personally I'd take some filter media from one of my healthy cycled tanks and put it into the filter of my new tank. I think you got the 10g from a friend right? Do they have any other larger fish tanks? (lol usually people with one tank end up with more? @_@) Also as mentioned algae is ugly and can cover your tank in no time to the point you can barely see your fish. If you let it go too long you can get some very hard to get off algae on the glass. (I have some in my 29g tank and it would take a razor to get it off... it's been there for a year+ and I don't have any other algae *knock on wood*.) I wouldn't introduce it to your tank. In new fish tanks you're likely to get an algae bloom anyways so don't speed it up.

As I did get it from someone else, unfortunately they aren't much help in that area.

They have a 20 gallon tank with one goldfish.

They also believe in full water changes weekly and don't use a bio-filter if I recall.

The guys a clean freak and doesn't like the thought of bacteria.

From everything on here, it seems like a miracle the goldfish had lived so long!