Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Who has exp with lights side-by-side? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/who-has-exp-lights-side-side-38657/)

Angel079 03-05-2010 07:02 PM

Who has exp with lights side-by-side?

So far I always had hoods that I could put 4ft florescent in so they'd stretch across the whole tank.

The 45g I got has a hood where you have actually 2 lil 20-some inch hoods side by side across the tank.

This causes 2 issues I don't like right now:
1) The support bar in the center pretty much has a "dark zone" as there's no light across that area and somehow
2) The left side of my tank is plain dark (the right side with the lower wattage, lower kelvin bulb is brighter) not even the Java Fern wants to thrive there the way it should normally.

Is there any way I can bend a reflector a special way to resolve this? Or does anyone have any other idea for me at this point OTHERS then getting a new 4ft fixture?:|

Edit: What's actually funny this shallow 45g has much more wattage & lumens then my 55g and is sooooooo much dimmer.

LisaC144 03-05-2010 07:09 PM

Thank you for posting this question! My 55g has 2-24" lights. I never noticed it before, but once I did the chageover to black gravel/black background and planted it, we both noticed a dark spot directly in the middle of the tank.. I don't have a problem with the sides of my tank like you seem to have, but a "dark zone" right in the middle is definitely evident and it's exactly where the bulb doesn't run across as well. It'll be interesting to see if anyone has suggestions on how to fix this.

Mean Harri 03-05-2010 07:15 PM

For that center dark spot I think one long light will have to be used. I guess you could try bending or adding a reflector to beam some light in the center. That would take some fooling around for sure. Or get a disco ball. You know, the shiny spinny ball at the club dance floor. That will cover the entire tank and room ;)

LisaC144 03-05-2010 07:20 PM

I'll run the disco ball by soon-to-be hubby. Thanks for the suggestion ;-)

Angel079 03-05-2010 07:20 PM

I hope so or I'll break out the tools here again cause I really can not have dinner any longer and see these 2 dim spots there, drives me NUTS lol

Angel079 03-05-2010 07:21 PM

Eric your pretty handy...you think bending a reflector a lil twisted would do the trick and reflect it to have less dim spots?

LisaC144 03-05-2010 07:25 PM

What kind of deflector are we talking about that can fit under the hood properly?

Mean Harri 03-05-2010 07:34 PM

Is there a reflector now? If there is and it can be temporarily removed that would maybe allow you to fidget with it moving and twisting it to see if you can direct the light. Can you raise your hood any? I wonder if raising it a little would spread the light pattern. If there is no reflector I'm sure one could be made. But it would have to be such that it didn't block light from another portion of the tank. That would assumingly require the entire hood to have a reflector put in. Could you slip some aluminum rain gutter above the existing bulbs? It's shiny.

Mean Harri 03-05-2010 07:36 PM

Wait. I was thinking of the old old aluminum rain gutters that were u shaped and not boxed off like they are now. hmmm. I'm thinking

Angel079 03-05-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Harri (Post 338645)
Is there a reflector now? If there is and it can be temporarily removed that would maybe allow you to fidget with it moving and twisting it to see if you can direct the light. Can you raise your hood any? I wonder if raising it a little would spread the light pattern. If there is no reflector I'm sure one could be made. But it would have to be such that it didn't block light from another portion of the tank. That would assumingly require the entire hood to have a reflector put in. Could you slip some aluminum rain gutter above the existing bulbs? It's shiny.

Raising up good idea will fiddle with that 2mrw. No I have no reflectors on this at all right now. I was thinking (since that what I have on hand right now) cut up & twist up some metal flashing and see how I best bend that to reflect light at the best? What you think? No a whole gutter piece won't fit in there gotta be thinner like flashing, sheet metal that kinda stuff.....