Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Please ID this cory for me (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/please-id-cory-me-38654/)

LisaC144 03-05-2010 06:03 PM

Please ID this cory for me

3 Attachment(s)
I have had bad luck with cories in my tank and after many attempts, I am only left with 1. I started to give up on ever having cories because even my 1 lone survivor was extremely inactive for a cory. Well, now that I have changed my gravel over to all black and fully planted my tank, he/she is extremely active. I don't really ever see him resting. He loves exploring the plants and digging through the new gravel. This change has made him a different guy (or girl). I'd like to try my hand at cories again and give this guy/girl some friends. I wanted to stick to the same breed so he'd shoal with the other cories. Can some one ID this cory so I can buy the correct ones. He is much larger than other cories I've seen and he's quite plump. I bought him that way and he has remained that way. After several attempts, I was able to get some good shots. Anyone know what he is?

aunt kymmie 03-05-2010 06:06 PM

He looks like this guy to me:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...bai-corydoras/

LisaC144 03-05-2010 06:07 PM

Whew, you're quick girl! Thanks! I think you're right on about that. What makes me happy, is that they can tolerate the higher temps that my Angels require....woohoo! I hope my LFS has some in stock.

aunt kymmie 03-05-2010 06:30 PM

I hope they have them too, your guy needs some buddies. :)

Angel079 03-05-2010 07:14 PM

I was JUST fixing to answer the 1st PM from you upon description and say Sterbai Cory too LOL and after seeing the pic now; def right on there with Kym!
While we're at it, their Temp ranges 75-83F :-)

LisaC144 03-05-2010 07:45 PM

Ok thank you both! I was unsure because he just seems so much bigger than one's I've seen in LFS. I guess he's just older and full grown? My next question is, since I just changed over my tank on Saturday and initially had a slight nitrite spike, should I wait a couple weeks before adding these cory or is it safe to add them now? All parameters have been back to normal since yesterday morning.

Angel079 03-05-2010 07:55 PM

Lisa when I bought the first cory cats as 'baby's" and added them to my 45g I knew the amount I had IMO wasn't proper. So uhmmm maybe 8-10 weeks later I bought another group....BOY where they looking SMALL compared to what was in my tank that I bought as baby's LOL. Young cory's under the right conditions grow fairly quick when compared to other fish.

Maybe I'd give it just another 2 weeks for the tank to really be stable and then add them; while its not a new set up as such a lot has happened to it lately give it time to stabilize itself back out now so the tank has some time w/out the extra bio load and the Cory's will come into a nice stable home later on :-)

LisaC144 03-05-2010 08:02 PM

I think that's what I'll do. But I'm excited to finally get him some buddies again. I hope I have better luck with them this time around :-?

Angel079 03-05-2010 08:09 PM

Well they are sensitive fish and you gotta think back when you only had plastic in the tank so that didn't do much for filtering bad stuff from your water - That in combo with senstive fish....tragic mixture in your case.

But now you have pretty live plants that work for you day & night and acclimate them carefully & slowly; feed them well but not overfeed and before you know it you may just have eggs every AM like I do (Really seems like I have a pregnant gal here ALL the time now).

LisaC144 03-05-2010 08:13 PM

You are so right. And my nitrites were consntantly on the high side as well at 20-40ppm...always. Since planting it, it's been at 5ppm. Same with my 5g. What do you specifically feed your cories??