Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Emergency!!! All fish are at risk of death!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/emergency-all-fish-risk-death-38653/)

Freddy 03-05-2010 05:42 PM

Emergency!!! All fish are at risk of death!!!

I just tried to treat my tank for fungus (there's a good bit growing on my heater) and according to the dosing directions, I should use 2 tablespoons (almost the whole bottle). Now after 1 tablespoon my tank is green!!! When I scoop out a little water, it's red.:shock: All of my fish have been emergency evacuated to my 10 gallon, and I think one of my fish will definitely die. Please advise me on what to do!!!!! I used API fungus cure.

Freddy 03-05-2010 05:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
pics. The angels are unhappy in the fry tank, and I haven't tested the water in there. It's been running for about a month, so it should be safe.

aunt kymmie 03-05-2010 06:03 PM

I'm a little confused. You used API Fungus Cure not because your fish were ill, but because of something you saw on the heater??

Prior to adding the Angels to the 10 gl tank what fish were you keeping in there?? Is the 10 gl a CYCLED tank??

PaperclipGirl 03-05-2010 08:30 PM

Fungus cure's usually contain a chemical that will turn the water green or green/blue - it should say something on the label or box to that effect. (just checked The API website - it states it will discolor the water)

Usually the color change is temporary but I am unsure about treating a tank for fungus rather than a fish. Hopefully AuntKimmy and others can help with that one.

stephanieleah 03-05-2010 08:35 PM

moving the fish is probably more stressful than the treatment itself.

i'd do a large water change, move the fish back and do another large water change tomorrow.

i know nothing about fish illness or meds, but ime the best thing to do when in doubt is nothing (but since something is already done, i'd be trying to undo it)

Austin 03-05-2010 08:44 PM

It was probably supposed to turn it green. If u followed the directions I doubt it would harm them...? if it was stressful do a W/C

Freddy 03-06-2010 08:46 AM

I think "discolor" is a little less than what it did to my water. But I have a new motto now for my aquarium - "Don't be lazy." After I did a large water change, the tank is still pretty green. But a good scrubbing of the heater on the parts with fungus growing on them (can mold grow underwater?) it's clean again. So I think I'll move the fish back today. Thanks everyone!

Ok, now I see the part about it turning the water green. It just wasn't on the bottle. gotta go!

Austin 03-06-2010 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this whats on your tank? I wish I could tell you what it is but I'm not exactly sure myself. But it's on one of my heaters as well. The best I can tell you is that I have not noticed any negative affects on my 10g aquarium since I've seen it. Everything seems fine.

Hope your angels are ok!

Romad 03-06-2010 09:33 AM

Not sure what to call that but it's in some of my tanks as well. I just use some warm water and a soft toothbrush to remove it when i do water changes. Sounds like it's normal to me.

bex101 03-06-2010 11:33 AM

While its hard to tell from a pic, do you use salt in your tanks? It looks like salt build up to me or if you have harder water it will do that also.