Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Do snails eat fish waste? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/do-snails-eat-fish-waste-38600/)

puppyrjjkm 03-04-2010 08:15 PM

Do snails eat fish waste?

So I am thinking about college and taking one of my bettas in a 10 gallon tank, either the hex or rectangle tank. Is one better than the other? I'm thinking just having a male betta, with decor but no gravel, and a mystery snail to clean up the bottom. Will the snail eat excess food as well as the betta's waste? And would I have to feed the snail something? Thanks!

Austin 03-04-2010 11:44 PM

Would you eat poop? (the answer to this question is the answer to your question.)

To answer your other question the snail will eat excess food.

redchigh 03-05-2010 12:20 AM

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want gravel?
substrate-less tanks can be stressful to fish...

There's not really any extra cleaning, go buy brown gravel if you're worried about appearences...

puppyrjjkm 03-05-2010 04:39 PM

I had a bare bottom with my frogs and a betta and loved it! I spray painted the outside bottom a sand color. I liked it a lot cause I could just suck up the waste really easy. But with 3 frogs they were too messy, so with just a fish and snail it would be even easier. Plus college water isn't always that great and I will have to wash the tank in the bathroom Yuck! So the easier i can make it the better :) Plus my fish wasn't stressed out he had bubblenests :)

xxabc 03-05-2010 05:26 PM

Mmmm, how would substrate less be stressful to fish? I don't see it :( Enlighten me, lol
I know a LOT of fish breeders don't put in substrate just to make everything so much easier. I think same with hospital tanks, too.

iamntbatman 03-06-2010 05:50 AM

Substrate is just so much more natural looking than a bare bottom. Substrate mimics a natural habitat and would make the fish feel more at home than a bare bottom. Bare bottomed tanks have their uses but for a regular show tank, a nice looking substrate is a lot better looking than a bare glass floor.

Austin 03-06-2010 07:45 AM

Mostly Irrelevant, but when I set up my 10g fry tank (44g is my now fry tank), I bought 3 ghost shrimp (1 died), and they seemed like they were having a hard time keeping a grip to the bottom (later added gravel), so it might not be stressful to fish, but other little creatures you could be interested in it might be. Also the bottom could reflect the light in a bare bottom tank which is very unnatural to the fish and I can imagine stressful. Over-all though it shouldn't stress the fish out. Most people who fish keep do like to try to create beautiful tanks. Most people don't find bare bottom attractive and thats why only breeders really use it because they aren't there for looks. It's your choice how you make the tank look, so go ahead.

Oh and also fish waste is much more visible on bare bottom tanks.