Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Getting to know you. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/getting-know-you-38585/)

1fish2fish 03-04-2010 05:17 PM

Getting to know you.

We did this on another forum and it was really fun getting to know the members better. Post what ever you feel comfortable sharing about yourself.

I'll start.

My name is Jaclyn but I have gone by Jackie my entire life. I'm 19y/o and a Sophomore in college. I grew up in Northern Virginia and moved to GA when I was 14. I hope to move back up to VA someday.. that is my true home.

I have always loved animals but growing up we only had cats. Occasionally I would bring home a hurt bird or squirrel (once even a bat) or lost dogs but they never stayed long. When we moved to GA my parents promised to get me a dog.. two years of whining later I got a puppy. My most favorite animals are horses. I do not own any but I do get to interact with some at the non-profit I volunteer for. Besides bettas and mystery snails I have one dog (a 3y/o female Boxer mix) named Bella (this was before the twilight craze) and a 2y/o DSH male cat named Malo (spanish for "bad".. which he is). Here's a pic of both of them.
http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/bella039.jpg
http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/a...ummero9027.jpg

Bella is my life. She is my baby and my favorite out of all my "kids". She is what they call my "heart dog".. the one dog that I hold most special in my heart over all other pets that I might own in the future. She and Malo live with my parents 4 hours away from my college and it kills me to not be able to see them regularly.

Besides animals I love reading and watching movies. I obviously enjoy fish keeping and I also love to garden although I don't have a chance to do that living in dorms.

I come from a big family, a his, hers, and ours type situation. I have 4 sisters and 3 brothers. I'm the second youngest. I have a whole bunch of nieces and nephews that I love. I don't particulartly want to have my own kids in the future but I love spending time with my nieces and nephews.

I'm very outspoken when it comes to animal abuse and BSL. I won't get started on BSL but if you don't know what it is feel free to PM me and I'll explain. I do not support PETA, H.S.U.S, or any other large corporations that take in thousands of dollars and do little to actually help animals.

I'm not very religious but I am very spiritual if that makes sense. I guess you could call me agnostic. I don't believe in one religion over another but I take my beliefs and ethics from study of many religions.

I hope to become a speech therapist and work with special needs children when I get my degree. I currently volunteer for a non-profit called Horsin' Around that works for free with special needs children using riding therapy. This encompasses my love of horses with my career path. I love volunteering there and I hope to continue to do so as long as I'm living in Savannah.

Well that pretty much sums me up :-) What about you?

nochoramet 03-04-2010 06:30 PM

Well I'm Amanda, and don't like to be called by a nickname, especially Mandy. I'm a freshman in college and I'm 18, but not too much longer I'll be 19.

I love, love, LOVE animals and have had a motley of cats, dogs, mice, snakes, fish, rabbits, squirrels, lizards, frogs, etc. when I was growing up, until my parents divorced and my mom got primary custody. The animals stopped, sadly. Until now, lol I have my bettas and they can't say anything about it because I fund my passion.

I have an older brother and 3 little sisters (though one's only a 1/2 sibling. She's 2, so she's really bratty lol) my other two are 13 and 10. My brother is 22 and he's in the National Guard and I am so proud of him.

I'm a proud Christian, I believe in God wholeheartedly. But I don't like it when people place me in the hypocritical Christian who will harass you until you convert...

I love, love, love reading and going to the movies on Fridays with my friends. I hate watching TV shows. It makes my brain melt. Oh, and I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers :D:D:D. I am very shy, and very antisocial in real life, so I only have a tight group of friends that I run with. At college, I really have no one. I'm more of a loner. I've had too many run-ins with fake people who really aren't your friends.

I love my betta fish. They are a recently discovered passion that brings me joy in life when I'm in school... I only live an hour away from where I go to college so I come home every weekend to see my boyfriend of almost 2 years and my family.

I tried to divide my paragraphs up, but it didn't work too well, I run off on tangents too much! I think this sums me up... It's hard to sum someone up in a short page though.

doggyhog 03-04-2010 06:52 PM

Fun thread!!!!!!

I'm Emilie. Been called Em forever. I actually look at someone funny if they call me Emilie. LOL My best friend calls me Emmy, but only SHE can call me that. :D Haha! I think we all get that. ;)

I'm Homeschooled, so that may explain some of the "anti social-ness" :)

My dog is my best friend. Absolutely hands down. Dogs don't care whether your rich, poor, what you look like, or what you do. Give 'em love, and they'll be loyal to you forever. He is my heart. Soon he must go back for more training though, as I only have him for a year. It's kinda like having a foster child, you give them everything so they can move on and be a joy to someone else. He is my protector, I have no doubt he would give his life for me, and vise versa. TRUST. He makes me laugh all the time. A total clown.

I'm the youngest in my family, so I really don't mind being alone, well, I'm never alone actually. Joey is by my side 24/7. Velcro dog. :) I don't do well in large social situations. Don't do well if I don't have my furry friend with me either. He is like my security blanket. Especially since I've been battling lyme disease for 5 years and have lots of after affects left over. I'm not very strong physically. Emotionally, my heart is strong, I'm a devoted Christian. Never will be anything other.

Some people will say I have no life. And... well... I kinda don't. LOL But I enjoy the small things in life, and I think everyone should take the time to "Smell the roses" and enjoy how beautiful everything is. I don't like it when people are rushing about so fast they don't even realize they are running in circles and getting no where. But, life's short! Take risks!!!!

So yeah, My life is pretty much formed around my animals.

EDIT: I can also, proudly say, I only watch TV like 10 times a year. :D If I do, it's animal planet, or watching 24! I'm very "Out of it" when it comes to some things, like my cousin had a picture of this guy on her phone and I was like.. Who's that??? And she was like OMG! That's the guy from TWILIGHT! I was like Twilight? Huh? Then she explained to me that it's a book and a movie and all that. LOL

nochoramet 03-04-2010 06:59 PM

You sound a lot like me doggyhog, I don't mind being alone and I strongly dislike social situations...and I have no life either lol. Study, fish, boyfriend. That's about it! I wish I had a dog of my own. Coco is mine/my boyfriends dog, but she lives with him, and well...she's kind of crazy. So I can't do much with her. I miss having a dog :(
Oh, and I've been homeschooled before as well! So that's where a lot of my anti-socialness came from. I was allowed to roam the woods all day long and never had any social interaction besides my siblings. I mean of course I did school work, but when I was done, I stayed outside ALL DAY LONG.

1fish2fish 03-04-2010 07:01 PM

LOL.. The twilight guy (provided she has GOOD taste) is MINE!!! The other one she can have :p

dramaqueen 03-04-2010 07:11 PM

lol! You guys sound like me. No social life and don't do well in large groups. But I do drama and solos at my church.

SaylorKennedy 03-04-2010 07:47 PM

Most people just call me Hay. I'm 17 going on 18 and a high school senior. I can't wait to get to college.

Personality wise, I'm shy at first but after a little while I open up. I can be stubborn. If I know I'm right, I'll prove it. I am very independent as well.

I love animals, especially dogs, like doggyhog. I've only had two dogs, but they have been the most loving creatures I've ever come across, waaay more so than people. :P

I love to do anything that requires creativity. I guess that's why I like school because I pour a lot of thought into it and when you think about it, thought is a form of creativity. (Note: Unfortunately I have been suffering from "senioritis" lately, but I'm getting back on track. :P)

I've recently found out that I love anything that has to do with greenhouses or floral designing. (fueled by one of my high school classes) Guess that's why I'm going to try aquatic plants again. I like doing sports. Running is my favorite so naturally I like track, cross country, soccer and I played softball too. Due breaking my leg in the fall I am not able to participate in any sports during the school year. That sucked. I love traveling and learning about different customs and cultures. I've been very fortunate to have gone to so many countries with my family.

On some side notes; I like cooking, but I'm not very good at it so I just stick to baking. My favorite color is yellow. I think that character-shaped mac n' cheese is better than the original with regular noodles. I have 3,623 songs on my Ipod and I have proudly downloaded them all legally or borrowed cd's from friends and burnt them.
:)

SaylorKennedy 03-04-2010 07:51 PM

And just so you know, while I was typing all of this I've had Getting To Know You stuck in my head. :)

Mean Harri 03-04-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggyhog (Post 337856)
Fun thread!!!!!!

I'm Emilie. Been called Em forever. I actually look at someone funny if they call me Emilie. LOL My best friend calls me Emmy, but only SHE can call me that. :D Haha! I think we all get that. ;)

I'm Homeschooled, so that may explain some of the "anti social-ness" :)

My dog is my best friend. Absolutely hands down. Dogs don't care whether your rich, poor, what you look like, or what you do. Give 'em love, and they'll be loyal to you forever. He is my heart. Soon he must go back for more training though, as I only have him for a year. It's kinda like having a foster child, you give them everything so they can move on and be a joy to someone else. He is my protector, I have no doubt he would give his life for me, and vise versa. TRUST. He makes me laugh all the time. A total clown.

I'm the youngest in my family, so I really don't mind being alone, well, I'm never alone actually. Joey is by my side 24/7. Velcro dog. :) I don't do well in large social situations. Don't do well if I don't have my furry friend with me either. He is like my security blanket. Especially since I've been battling lyme disease for 5 years and have lots of after affects left over. I'm not very strong physically. Emotionally, my heart is strong, I'm a devoted Christian. Never will be anything other.

Some people will say I have no life. And... well... I kinda don't. LOL But I enjoy the small things in life, and I think everyone should take the time to "Smell the roses" and enjoy how beautiful everything is. I don't like it when people are rushing about so fast they don't even realize they are running in circles and getting no where. But, life's short! Take risks!!!!

So yeah, My life is pretty much formed around my animals.

EDIT: I can also, proudly say, I only watch TV like 10 times a year. :D If I do, it's animal planet, or watching 24! I'm very "Out of it" when it comes to some things, like my cousin had a picture of this guy on her phone and I was like.. Who's that??? And she was like OMG! That's the guy from TWILIGHT! I was like Twilight? Huh? Then she explained to me that it's a book and a movie and all that. LOL

:shock: all this time I thought you were a guy. Like an older guy. Mid 20's - mid 30's. At least I won't be thinking wrong now, Em.

dramaqueen 03-04-2010 08:27 PM

I thoughht doggyhog was college age when she first became a member. :)