Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish Tank Research (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-tank-research-38574/)

PDSimon 03-04-2010 12:06 PM

Fish Tank Research

Hello there,

I'm a student currently doing some research into fish tanks. I'm looking into designing something new and out of the box.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me on the advantages and disadvantages of current fish tanks (this could be cold, tropical or marine bud I'd prefer tropical) or any ideas on improvements for them. Specifically something really different there form/shape would be very useful or any different materials, technology etc.

Thanks for your time - Simon :-D

AaronCombs 03-04-2010 12:08 PM

well depends how out of the box you are looking for lol. Have you looked into the bottomless tanks?
You have some settings you'll have to always monitor with those, but overall I've always wanted one.

PDSimon 03-04-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronCombs (Post 337622)
well depends how out of the box you are looking for lol. Have you looked into the bottomless tanks?
You have some settings you'll have to always monitor with those, but overall I've always wanted one.

They look really good, confusing though I don't even know whats going on!

I guess with the settings you could make it a bit more gadgety which some people may like.

Any improvements/enhancements that interest you other than that?

any properties of current tanks that need improvement?

oh and thank you! :)

redchigh 03-04-2010 01:48 PM

I heard someone refer to an "ion plate" as a way to remove nitrates from the aquarium.

I did some research on google but after 5 mins of fruitless googling I gave up.
They seemed to describe it as some piece of equipment that would suck the nitrates out of the tank without hurting the fish or anything. Maintenance is the most common complaint from NEW fishkeepers.
Low maintenance ideas leads me to the next idea (that I'm already planning on experimenting with)

I also like the idea of "biosphere"
Probably wouldn't be all that attractive, but a small tank with lots of plants placed in the sunlight and a small algae-eating fish (such as guppy or molly) could, theoretically, be self-sustaining....

iamntbatman 03-05-2010 02:43 AM

What about doing research into the way fish tanks are built? Currently, most tanks are simply plates of glass connected at the joints with aquarium silicone. The silicone is the "weak link" and over time can degrade leading to tank failure. Acrylic tanks can be "seamless" but many don't like acrylic because it stains and scratches easier than glass. A "jointless" glass aquarium would probably be something a lot of people would be interested in.

PDSimon 03-06-2010 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 337693)
I heard someone refer to an "ion plate" as a way to remove nitrates from the aquarium.

I did some research on google but after 5 mins of fruitless googling I gave up.
They seemed to describe it as some piece of equipment that would suck the nitrates out of the tank without hurting the fish or anything. Maintenance is the most common complaint from NEW fishkeepers.
Low maintenance ideas leads me to the next idea (that I'm already planning on experimenting with)

I also like the idea of "biosphere"
Probably wouldn't be all that attractive, but a small tank with lots of plants placed in the sunlight and a small algae-eating fish (such as guppy or molly) could, theoretically, be self-sustaining....

I will look into that, thanks :-)

PDSimon 03-06-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 338214)
What about doing research into the way fish tanks are built? Currently, most tanks are simply plates of glass connected at the joints with aquarium silicone. The silicone is the "weak link" and over time can degrade leading to tank failure. Acrylic tanks can be "seamless" but many don't like acrylic because it stains and scratches easier than glass. A "jointless" glass aquarium would probably be something a lot of people would be interested in.

Yeah, I've done a little research into the weakpoints and benefits and I think improved manufacture could really develop something people want. Thanks for the help!