Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Some questions on Apple/Mystery Snails. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/some-questions-apple-mystery-snails-38562/)

Austin 03-04-2010 04:23 AM

Some questions on Apple/Mystery Snails.

I have one apple snail and I might get one or two more. It would be interesting to try to breed them. :D

Anyways I have a few questions and I'm hoping maybe someone knows;

What EXACTLY do apple snails eat? I see mine munching on the walls of the tank (algae?), and I see him munching on my plants... but ONLY the dead or dying leafs, which makes him a good clean-up for the dead leafs of my plants...

but I am wondering do they actually eat dying plant leafs?

I've never seen him eat fish food.

What kind of food should I buy him (if you think I should?)

Can a yellow and lets say a brown apple snail breed?

Will pet stores take in apple snails normally? (like mom and pop pet stores that take fish in)

They won't ravage my plants, right? Is it just a fluke that my current apple snail only eats dead parts of my plants?

I'm going to research breeding and maybe buy 1 or 2 more apple snails, and hope I get lucky with the genders. :p Then let nature take course... I'm not going to lower the water level just gonna hope I can get eggs with my current water level =x

iamntbatman 03-05-2010 04:31 AM

It's pretty normal for them to eat decaying plant matter but they won't usually eat live plants unless they're really starving. You can feed them just about anything. Algae wafers make a good staple but they'll eat just about any kind of veggies as well as meaty foods.

Here's a thread with some snail food recipes you can try:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/i...-recipe-19455/

There are different species of apple snails but you might just have different color morphs of the same species so they should be able to breed with one another. They only lay their eggs above the water line so if there's no room up there they might not breed. I had a pair that laid eight or so different clutches of eggs and I ended up with hundreds and hundreds of babies. I think most fish stores generally regard snails as pests and might not accept your babies, although they might. I ended up shipping most of mine to okiemavis (a former mod here) for use as puffer food as I had no way of housing hundreds of snails.

molliefan09 03-05-2010 07:24 AM

I have an applesnail as well and she eats just about everything....she likes fresh veggies the best. there is some good info i read through on breeding, i cant seem to find it now but it did sayt hat once the eggs are laid they can not be fully submerged in the water but can not dry out as well...they need to be kept moist...

Austin 03-06-2010 07:52 AM

How do you keep the eggs moist without drowing the baby snails? Humid moist? Like keep them in a dry container and spray them with water often?

I'll read more about this when I actually see them making love if they ever do.

Also, the mystery snails at petsmart are 2$ and people like me still buy them! :P So I wouldn't understand why pet stores wouldnt take them. =[ 2$ is about the same as they sell platies for which they'd take.

iamntbatman 03-07-2010 04:54 AM

I dunno, people love MTS but I've had multiple stores give me them for free because they consider them pest snails. Unless your mystery snails got big enough to be identified as such, I think you might have difficulty convincing the employees that they're the "good kind" of snail rather than pond snails (which aren't really bad in the first place). But if you've got a good LFS they might take them.

Mine bred in a tank that has one of those kind of dome-shaped black plastic hoods designed for use with incandescent lights (I had screw-in CFL's instead). The egg sacs really close to the lights never hatched. I guess the hood just kept in enough moisture (away from the lights anyway) to let the eggs hatch. I don't know if they would have been able to breed in a tank with a regular glass canopy as there might not be enough room for the egg sacs (which are pretty big) above the waterline.

Austin 03-07-2010 06:14 AM

Ah, ok. How long does it take them to get big enough to be recognizeable?

Oh and also do you know if snails will still ATTEMPT to breed w/o the waterline lowered? I was thinking there's about 1 cm of space about my water line... would they still attempt to breed? I could then lower the water level once I know I got a pair thats willing to breed...