Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   siver arrowana Tank mate (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/siver-arrowana-tank-mate-38547/)

goneeuro 03-03-2010 09:55 PM

siver arrowana Tank mate

So I finally got a silver arowana. It is only 2 inches right now. I cant wait to watch him grow. Ive read that they grow an inch a month. But onto my question. The aro is in a bare tank by himself right now. No substrate just bare glass. I have been doing regular cleanings of the bottom but i was curious if there was something I could put in the tank that will scavenge the bottom of the tank but will not bother the aro. I was thinking a crayfish or crab maybe. What do you guys think. Thanks. Oh and could people please post up some pics of there tanks with baby arowanas. like 3 inches or smaller.

iamntbatman 03-04-2010 05:25 AM

I think you're better off just using a gravel vac to suck up detritus as any smaller scavengers you could get would likely get eaten as the arowana grows. Assuming you've got a very large tank (large enough to house the arowana as an adult) you might be able to get a larger species of catfish for the bottom of the tank.

goneeuro 03-04-2010 01:48 PM

He will eventually go in a wall tank. I have plans to build a huge tank. The plan is two aros and a shovelnose cat. I have been doing alot of reading to figure out what size tank i want to build. Thanks for the sugestions on the not getting another fish in there for right now. I will def hold off.

iamntbatman 03-05-2010 03:51 AM

Keep in mind that any tankmates are a risk. Arowanas sometimes ignore tankmates at lower levels but sometimes are quite aggressive, so you'll have to keep an eye out for aggressive behavior no matter what you pick.

goneeuro 03-11-2010 09:54 PM

I ended up with a pictus cat but i think i am gonna move him to another tank. I was told by the fish store that he would scavange the bottom but i dont think he does anything down there. I think i am gonna go with you guys and just use the gravel vac to take car of the waste stuff on the bottom.

iamntbatman 03-12-2010 03:27 AM

Something the size of a pictus will definitely get eaten by the arowana as it gets bigger. They only get 5" long.

molliefan09 03-12-2010 08:24 AM

we have 2 aros, onw about 12 inches and the other about 4-5 inches. they did GREAT together for a little while then the larger one thought it was a snack. we keep our larger aro with SA cichlids. the baby is curretly in a grow out tank by himself....by grow out tank i mean he the the whole 160 gallon tank to himself....

fishfreak2009 03-12-2010 08:19 PM

aros need huge aquariums, if not ponds. If you can provide that size enclosure try looking into the ripsaw catfish. They are very peaceful and get big. Also look at motoro stingrays and datnioids. Both are relatively hardy fish once they are a little bigger. For adult arowanas peacock bass are also an option.