Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   When or How to Service the Tank(all minor details covered) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/when-how-service-tank-all-minor-38505/)

aamirahmed70 03-03-2010 09:03 AM

When or How to Service the Tank(all minor details covered)

Hi Fishkeepers
I have 30 gallons aquarium,8 fishes, i feed them twice in 24 hours.
i wanna know that when should i change the water or how much change and in how many days i should service my tank.i mean cleaning of gravel dirt in between them...
and i started my aquarium 15 days back..i change 1/4 of water after i pour anti ICH medicine for ICH attack.
Any suggestion will be heartiest
Regards
Aamir

Byron 03-03-2010 01:21 PM

Assuming you do not have live plants in the tank, just fish, a regular partial water change should be done every week (on the same day every week for consistency), and you can change 40-50% of the tank water. Siphon out the water using an aquarium gravel vacuum and this removes debris from the gravel as the water comes out. Use a good water conditioner in the replacement water. Once a month you can also rinse out the filter media (pads, whatever is in the filter). Rinse it in water from the tank so no bacteria are killed by the chlorine in the tap water, if that is what you have. This is about all that is needed as regular maintenance, provided the tank is not overstocked with too many or too many large fish (you don't mention which specific fish you have).

A brief comment on the ich medication, is this because ich appeared in the tank? Or some sort of preventative measure? Others with more experience in diseases may help you when you've answered.

I see you joined the forum this past month, so welcome; there are a lot of knowledgeable members here to answer your questions.

Byron.

aamirahmed70 03-03-2010 09:07 PM

Well thanx Byron, that is of a big help...
actually earlier i didnt mention, i got 3 amazon swords, 6 black widow tetras and 4 gold fish type fish i dont know their name.
I got ICH outbreak in aquarium thats why i pour the medication.
so changing 40 % of the water in a week..isnt that too much, does it stresses the fish..
regards
AAmir

redchigh 03-03-2010 09:18 PM

If you don't have a test kit, you should really get one and monitor the ammonia and nitrates closely.

Personally, I check nitrites once a week, and if they're over 40ppm, I do a water change. If it's still low, then I don't do anything.

I'm worried because generally, goldfish should be in a species tank- They produce a lot of ammonia. They are actually more tolerable to it, but they can stress other fishes in the tank...
(based on things I've heard, wouldn't neccesarily trust it without a second opinion)

iamntbatman 03-04-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 337275)
Personally, I check nitrites once a week, and if they're over 40ppm, I do a water change. If it's still low, then I don't do anything.

I hope you mean nitrates rather than nitrites. 40 ppm nitrites would be instant death for any fish living in the tank.

Is there any way you could post a picture of your fish?

Byron 03-04-2010 12:54 PM

Yes Aamir, can you post photos of the "goldfish"? I know what the tetras are.

And what medication are you using for ich?

To answer your question, no, a 40% water change weekly will not hurt the fish, quite the opposite. Having plants, esp swords, will improve the water quality considerably. Once the tank settles (and ich is cleared up), 30% weekly would be fine with plants.

Byron.

jeaninel 03-04-2010 07:02 PM

Hello. Just wanted to add...if you just started your aquarium 15 days ago it is probably still cycling, meaning you would probably need to do more frequent water changes since ammonia and nitrites may be present. You really should invest in a water test kit (liquid kind, not the dip strips) to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and Ph. Once your tank is fully cycled (meaning 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some reading for nitrates) weekly partial water changes are fine.

Also, you mentioned you change 1/4 of the water after you dose with the Ich med? You should do your water change before you dose with the ich med. Make sure to remove the carbon from your filter while medicating.

JohnnyD44 03-04-2010 07:38 PM

Great posts by all!

Just wanted to say hello!!

another quick side note: jeaniel mentioned removing carbon during medication....I'd yank it permanently seeing as your have plants. It eats up the good stuff your plants need!