Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   A snail? But i never bought one! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/snail-but-i-never-bought-one-38503/)

KSASTER2 03-03-2010 07:51 AM

A snail? But i never bought one!

Turned on my lights this morning and then something started to crawl down my back glass. It definatly had a shell on its back. By the time I got my camera it was burrying itself into the substrate. I've heard snails can be problems should I try and catch him? Tomorrow morning when I turn my lights on Ill be ready with my camera. He was light colored like tan and moved pretty fast.

I can confirm the presence of 2.

Angel079 03-03-2010 08:24 AM

They can easily be slipped in with new plants. Actually they're no problem in tank, quite the contrary because tehy help you keep the tank clean in a way you couldn't do it, so they're very beneficial lil helpers :-) I have several snails in all my tanks intentionally just for that purpose :-)

LisaC144 03-03-2010 08:47 AM

Yup, I had several come in on my new plants. One I saw right away on the glass (very small though) and a couple others were so teeny tiny, I might have actually sucked them up with my pwc. They were like the size of a pinhead. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks when they grow a bit. I'm leaving any snails I see in the tank as well, and if I find I am over run with them, I will remove them accordingly.

KSASTER2 03-03-2010 09:16 AM

Yeh same here I'm leavin them alone. I have only found 2. I just tried taking a pic but its just to small to come out in the picture. I think its pretty cool!!!

Byron 03-03-2010 11:07 AM

This is another solution to your issue of uneaten food in that other thread, and one I forgot to mention there. Snails are great scavengers. I prefer the Malaysian livebearing snail because they survive even in my acidic soft water (snails need calcium for their shells and usually don't last long in such water). But snails eat algae (not a lot, but some) and any uneaten food. You may have the Bladder or Pond snail, they are very similar and good snails in water that is not too soft and acidic. B.

KSASTER2 03-05-2010 04:57 PM

Snails getting bigger and i see more

Not sure if this is good or bad but my surprise snails are growing quite fast... From almost unable to be seen to a decent and noticlable size. My main question is I'm starting to notice 7 or 8 more really tiny snails on a plant... I don't want this to get out of control and suggestions?

LisaC144 03-05-2010 05:06 PM

Well if you get concerned and want to get rid of them, you can drop a cucumber in the tank and the snails will make their way over to it. At that point, you can remove the cucumber and snails and disgard of it.

Austin 03-05-2010 07:41 PM

I always regarded them as pests and smashed every one i saw. I've had some before and they multiplied very quickly and they aren't the most attractive things...

Mean Harri 03-05-2010 07:45 PM

I was leery about the snails in my tank as well. But I left them be. There are more now but it's not out of control. I feed the fish in a controlled manner and they aren't exploding like some people experience. They do a heck of a job. I find them pretty neat now. I have a couple that have clear looking shells and look more like a ramshorn shell than the other snails in the tank. Not sure if they are baby snails and will develop or if they are some other type.

KSASTER2 03-06-2010 06:04 AM

@ Mean... exactly what I have they have clear looking shells.... and yes I agree with you I find myself watching them just as much as my fish...they're cool