Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   I got two new platys (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/i-got-two-new-platys-384714/)

goldfish98 04-19-2014 05:00 PM

I got two new platys

Here is a video of them. :) Platy Pictures, Platy Images, Platy Photos, Platy Videos - Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Sylverclaws 04-19-2014 06:24 PM

Looks like you got yourself a male and female, but I can't tell if the MM one is a male or not, he doesn't seem to like your camera!

I love platies, nice fish. :3 Better get yourself a third one though, platies like groups of threes or more...I tried keeping them in a pair on a few occasions, bad idea because they can get clingy with each other and become aggressive and stressed because they'll often try to be with the other and sometimes meh happens...Just a heads up, but lovely little tank, and nice little platies. :3

goldfish98 04-19-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylverclaws (Post 4329010)
Looks like you got yourself a male and female, but I can't tell if the MM one is a male or not, he doesn't seem to like your camera!

I love platies, nice fish. :3 Better get yourself a third one though, platies like groups of threes or more...I tried keeping them in a pair on a few occasions, bad idea because they can get clingy with each other and become aggressive and stressed because they'll often try to be with the other and sometimes meh happens...Just a heads up, but lovely little tank, and nice little platies. :3

I think they are both females. I love platys to, they have great personalities. :)

goldfish98 04-22-2014 05:59 PM

One of them passed away. :(

Sylverclaws 04-23-2014 12:45 AM

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. It happens.

Check your water parameters and make sure there were no spikes or toxins in the water just in case. If there isn't it could indicate a health issue and keep a close eye on the other and not get more, if you plan to, until you're sure it's not an illness.

Did it show any signs of issues? Hanging out at the top, or the bottom, jiggling, marks, swelling of the belly too fast to indicate pregnancy(like overnight swelling, could indicate a blockage). Give your current platy a pea, especially if it's the one you thought was pregnant, see if it can clear up a blockage should it be one. Cooked and skinned, no canned peas. If it's not a block, it wont hurt them. =) I've bought fish and had them die within a day or two thinking they may have been pregnant when they actually had a blockage, I often feed new fish a pea just in case since petshops often over-feed, AND often do so by giving a few vacation feeders.

goldfish98 04-23-2014 05:42 AM

Yes, the one that died was resting on the bottom a lot, then started gasping for air. I moved her into a separate tank. I noticed that she started swimming partway onto her side and eventually upside down. Then she died. The one thats pregnant is still alive.

Cichlidsrule102 04-23-2014 06:00 AM

Well, at least you'll have many more soon!

goldfish98 04-23-2014 06:50 AM

If the other one makes it...

jimscott 04-23-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldfish98 (Post 4348873)
If the other one makes it...

...then buy some floating plants for the babies to hide. Water Sprite is a good plant for this.

Sylverclaws 04-23-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimscott (Post 4349706)
...then buy some floating plants for the babies to hide. Water Sprite is a good plant for this.

Watersprite is good. So is java moss and raccia(crystalwort). Mine are always hiding in those. Thick plants that babies can get in, and forage in, and adults have trouble doing so. =)

Live plants will also help keep some toxins in check in the water if you have any.

And it sounds like you do, you should test your water, do a quick water change. If you have Prime, use it as it will detoxify nitrites and nitrates and remove ammonia if you have any. Always good to do so in a tank where a fish has died from an unknown cause too.