Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   stocking a 60l/15g (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-60l-15g-3845/)

tom14 03-04-2007 03:38 PM

stocking a 60l/15g

hi, im new.

could i put in a 60l:

2 dwarf gouramis (1 male 1 female)
4 peppered cories
3 male guppies

could i add anything else??

thanks for the help :D

Zephyr 03-04-2007 03:41 PM

Seems pretty good.
But I've seen male guppies get a bit rough with eachother.
Maybe platies?

tom14 03-04-2007 03:46 PM

could i add to my list? or is it stocked.

musho3210 03-04-2007 03:58 PM

Re: stocking a 60l/15g

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom14
hi, im new.

could i put in a 60l:

2 dwarf gouramis (1 male 1 female)
4 peppered cories
3 male guppies

could i add anything else??

thanks for the help :D

well lets try the 1 inch per gallon rule

2 dwarf Gs. 2 inches = 4 inches
4 cories. 3 inches = 12 inches
3 guppies. 2 inches = 6 inches

add it all up you get 22 inches of fish, if i were you i wouldnt get the cories and pick something else since cories should technically be held in 30 gallons or more.

Amphitrite 03-04-2007 04:00 PM

I would disagree there. I kept 4 corys and a number of other fish in my previous tank, and found there was plenty of room. They don't get that big.

tom14 03-04-2007 04:01 PM

male guppies grow to about 1" to 1.5"
(that is what i have)

peppered cories 2.5"

thanks for the help

musho3210 03-04-2007 04:18 PM

well take this for a reason

Corydoras are bottom dwellers, in which the bottom of the tank gets less oxygen, with the already high amount of fish you are going to have the oxygen levels will be quite low down there. Sure you can try to raise the oxygen by making the surface more turbulent but then the gourami wont be able to succesfully make a bubble nest with all the strong current

Second corydoras barbels are sensitive to water conditions, nitrate being one of them, you will need to keep the nitrates below 20 for them to be happy as a high nitrate level will damage there barbels. With a largely stocked tank the nitrate levels will be high and unless you are willing to do many water changes, there barbels will deteriorate.

Cories in a small tank, might work if you are willing to do a lot of stuff on it, it might work, corydoras in a small tank with other fish that overstocks the tank a bit, no.

fish_4_all 03-04-2007 05:19 PM

I have cories in a 10 gallon tank, 2 C. Trilineatus (julii), 1 panda and 1 albino. They are more than happy and their barbells are extremely long and healthy. Nitrate levels are at least 20ppm as I dose 30ppm weekly for my plants. I also run an airstone 24/7 for oxygen even with my plants.

The stocking does seem like it could be too much but with adequate filtration and good gravel vac once a week they should be fine. What kind of filter do you have? That will be a better determiner if your plans will work. If the filter can't keep up then the stocking levels may be a problem. Gouramis can also be aggressive so you might want to watch for fin nipping.

tom14 03-05-2007 10:48 AM

im not sure what type of filter it is. i comes with the "AQUAART 60L"

"The innovative EasyCrystal® Filter is simple to use and permanently keeps water healthy and crystal clear."
THIS IS FROM THE TETRA COMPANY

http://www.tetra.de/tetra/go/F970F57...418B39D8D43F5B

it says you can have 1 - 2litres for each cm of fish, but says to keep to small fish and gives stocking guides. this is all i know about my filter. i replace filter bits and bobs correctly and the tank is siphoned a good 30l each week.

thanks for all the help. im not arguing with anyone im just saying what i have researched. thanks

musho3210 03-05-2007 11:18 AM

that filter can deffinatly not be able to stock well, infact you probably wont be able to stock 10 cm of fish properly, why? Since there is no bio-filter, the filter is just a bag of activated carbon, it will provide mechanical and chemical but wont do anything biological, you need another filter. Either get or make a sponge filter or get another HOB filter. Get a penguin or emperor or aquaclear HOB filter for the bio-filtration.