Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Lfs horror (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/lfs-horror-38429/)

KSASTER2 03-02-2010 02:20 PM

Lfs horror

Went to my LFS... and to my dismay found a freshwater stingray in a 10 gallon tank with 2 koi. I felt so bad for the poor thing. They wanted 69.99 for him.

Also they were selling Red Clawed Crabs as fully aquatic... I ve read several places that they are not. Anyone know for sure because I thought they were really cool looking.

Angel079 03-02-2010 03:37 PM

They not only need a land part/ air but also a certain salinity level (don't ask me how high/ low thou).

JohnnyD44 03-02-2010 07:20 PM

wow.....poor string ray....

redchigh 03-03-2010 07:20 AM

I went to my LFS the other day to buy a few more female guppies...

After looking in the tank I quickly changed my mind.

There were 6 dead fish scattered around, and I could also identify several good examples of Ich, Dropsy, and Fin Rot all in the same tank.
It was actually useful though, now I know what ich looks like. :/

PRichs87 03-03-2010 04:19 PM

So i was in walmart buying food and stopped by the fish tanks, HORROR!!!!!!

5 dwarf puffers in a tank SO COVERED IN ICH that you couldn't see the top of the tank and then another tank had parrots that only 1 was alive, 4 on the bottom dead. The guy saw me looking dismayed and said, oh no, those shouldn't be in there.

Then this little kid came by and asked where the bettas were to the guy. I turned to him pointed at the tank and said, do you think that you would want a fish like that? Pointing at the puffers, he said "No they are sick!" So i sent him to my LFS that cares real good care of his fish, his parents were so happy that I told them about it, because they said they had bought 4 bettas from walmart and all had died.

Then I told them to go on this site and read more about fish care if they wanted to treat their son's pet humanely! So hopefully they took my advice!!!

iamntbatman 03-04-2010 04:43 AM

Wal-mart's tanks are, without a doubt, the saddest thing I've ever witnessed. I always see GSP's in there chewed to shreds and covered in ich. The dyed parrot tank never has live fish in it; there are always just a bunch of parrots plastered to the filter system intake. There's no way on earth they're making any money off of fish sales (I don't think most places do but this is just plain sad).

It all comes down to finding that good LFS. Unfortunately for me my top-choice store went out of business. There's another nearby that's a lot smaller but they get some neat stuff in from time to time. Pretty expensive, though.