Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Which pleco would you recommend? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/pleco-would-you-recommend-38417/)

LisaC144 03-02-2010 10:33 AM

Which pleco would you recommend?

My LFS has 3 types of plecos in stock. I wanted a bristlenose, but they don't have any. I need to wait a few weeks before getting one, so they may have them in stock by then but wanted other options just in case.

Currently, they have a rubbernose pleco, a clown pleco, and one which I never heard of called Gibbicep (sp?) pleco. Has anyone ever heard of a Gibbicep? If so, have any info on them? Of the 3, which would best be suited for a 55g aquarium to control algae (also looking just for entertainment. I enjoy plecos).

LisaC144 03-02-2010 10:37 AM

Well, we can nix the Gibbcep. I just read that they can get up to 18" (like the common pleco). YIKES! It's either the clown pleco or rubbernose pleco now. Suggestions?

1077 03-02-2010 11:03 AM

Rubberlip pleco would be my choice if I could not talk the store into ordering bristlenose.
Clown plecos aren't all that interested in alage and much prefer to chew on wood and are more of an omvinore.
Otocinclus or perhaps Farlowella might also be something you might consider.

LisaC144 03-02-2010 11:17 AM

Yeah, I am leaning towards the rubbernose. I read the Clown Pleco also isn't as social as other plecos and expect not to see them much. My top choice is the bristlenose though. I like their..well.....bristlesnose's. ;-)

iamntbatman 03-04-2010 05:33 AM

Pretty much on the boat with you guys. I'd go bristlenose, rubberlip, then clown. Clowns are great looking fish but they're just so darn reclusive. Bristlenose are probably the most active pleco I've seen.

1077 03-04-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 337449)
Pretty much on the boat with you guys. I'd go bristlenose, rubberlip, then clown. Clowns are great looking fish but they're just so darn reclusive. Bristlenose are probably the most active pleco I've seen.

I kept a couple clown plecos for nearly two years in an 80 gal and perhaps saw them three or four times. Finally traded them for store credit. Don't much care for fishes that you never see.
Bristlenose are indeed quite active and the breeding pair of long finned albinos I have ,have presented me with approx 40 fry that I am still figuring out what to do with once they get a bit larger.
The Bristlenose is very good at removing algae ,and does a fair job in the absence of any other bottom feeders in cleaning up crumbs of food that may be left by other fishes.

Pep 03-04-2010 07:48 AM

I have 2 longfin bristlenose's in my new tank and they are VERY active. Always out hunting for algae for me. I would recomend if you get more than 1 one to get the same size though. My LFS netted me one that was a bit bigger than the other and they can be a bit territorial at times. The big one will chase the little one away if the little gets close to what the big one thinks is "a good feed' such as algae wafers. I strated breaking up algae wafers into smaller pieces and dropping them in different places in the tank to help solve that. But I would recomend the bn's for sure

aunt kymmie 03-04-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 337487)
Bristlenose are indeed quite active and the breeding pair of long finned albinos I have ,have presented me with approx 40 fry that I am still figuring out what to do with once they get a bit larger.

I think we have to figure out a way for 1077 to ship Lisa one of his babies. ;-)

LisaC144 03-04-2010 12:58 PM

EXACTLY Kymmie! When I read that, that was the first thing I thought of. 1077, have you ever shipped fish before??

1077 03-05-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 337661)
EXACTLY Kymmie! When I read that, that was the first thing I thought of. 1077, have you ever shipped fish before??

Nope. I have a couple fish stores that I frequent that have said they will take them once they are a bit larger but they are not offering much for them in the way of store credit. The fish right now are not much longer than the lead on newly sharpened pencil and they grow rather slowly despite near constant food source which in turn means frequent water changes in the 75 gal.
My fear of shipping fish is that for reasons unknown,,the fish might perish and then I would forever be remembered as the guy that sent sick or dead fish.:-(