Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Will clay poison my water? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/will-clay-poison-my-water-38385/)

Freddy 03-01-2010 08:46 PM

Will clay poison my water?

Ok, so at school today we got an assignment to do a commercial for a product or service that has a mythological reference. We're doing Poseidon Diving Lessons. The plan is (right now) to get a diver decoration and do a separate voice, so for the part with my aquarium we'll say "See amazing fish!" (close up of my fish doing nothing), then a close up of the diver and say "I learned to dive at Poseidon Diving!". Then there'll be another person - clay is what I'm thinking - and it will say "I didn't!" and he will get stabbed through with a trident (:shock: Horrible thing to do to an innocent clay person, I know). The trident will also probably be clay. Or else, the diver will have a needle in its hands (or harpoon gun) attached to a string. After the clay person says "I didn't!" we'll pull the string and the needle will shoot out like a harpoon, and go through the little innocent clay man :shock: (we're just evil to little clay people :twisted:). If we do that, there will be a ketchup packet inside the clay person to simulate blood :sick: (that will NOT be taking place in my aquarium!!! maybe the little goldfish bowl I don't use). So will clay poison my water and we have to think of something else, or can we do it?

iamntbatman 03-02-2010 02:53 AM

I honestly have no idea, but I'd be inclined to say that plain ol' clay would make your water really muddy but might not be toxic. Other clay-like substances might be toxic, though.

Can you carve them out of wood?

Promelas 03-02-2010 08:57 AM

what about using plastic action figures? gotta be able to buy a diver somewhere

iamntbatman 03-04-2010 04:28 AM

That would probably be safe. I wouldn't keep them in the water for more than a few minutes, though.

Freddy 03-04-2010 03:47 PM

It ended up being a lot less exciting than we had planned. My mom couldn't find a diver like we needed at any fish stores, so she went to wal-mart and got a G.I. Joe diving action figure. That was a lot different than I thought it would be, but it turned out okay.

AaronCombs 03-04-2010 05:55 PM

i forgot that gi joe's had those... been awhile since i looked at them.
You should take a pic and show us how it turned out, if you can.

Freddy 03-04-2010 06:22 PM

:) I'd rather not. My voice was croaking that night, and when I tried to be quiet (we're going to put in other audio) my voice got really... weird.

Mean Harri 03-05-2010 06:04 PM

Just to let you know you can't kill Mr. Bill. He never dies. He might be clay and get smashed, run over, run in to but he always comes back. Oh noooooooooo