Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Dead Fish.... Aaaargh! Need some consoling (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/dead-fish-aaaargh-need-some-consoling-38373/)

Big Fish 03-01-2010 06:36 PM

Dead Fish.... Aaaargh! Need some consoling

I just went downstairs to feed my fish and I noticed.......

My large Male Molly dead on the bottom
My new Guppy female dead
An eaten Neon Tetra
- the Siamese Algae eater was nipping at the skeleton

Missing.... my somewhat baby Molly (this was growing nicely and was a good size)
---Nowhere to be found

This is very upsetting. Why did these fish die??!!

50g Tank
78F
Planted
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
PH 7.6
Am 0

These are my first loses since I started in August.

Not HAPPY!:sad:

La Reina 03-01-2010 06:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your fish! *shifty eyes at siamese algae eater*

aunt kymmie 03-01-2010 07:11 PM

I'm sorry too but don't blame the Siamese algae eater. Now, if it was a Chinese algae eater I'd get "shifty eyes".
What other fish are in this tank??

Big Fish 03-01-2010 09:35 PM

I have:

4 Sunset Platy
6 Neon Tetra
2 Molly
2 Guppy
3 Red Wag Platy
3 Siamese Algae Eaters

They all seem to get along. Something is obviously wrong. I have had quite a few fry, some that have survived to a nice size that came out of hiding. Only the Red Wag Platy fry made it to a good size.

I am really perplexed.

OH, I should mention, the only eaten fish was the Neon Tetra. It was half eaten. The simaese were nipping at the carcase, but it was on the bottom. The Big Molly was on the bottom and the guppy was floating. No physical damage that I could see on either of these two fish.

PaperclipGirl 03-01-2010 10:50 PM

I am sorry for your losses... I am so new to fishkeeping and I haven't lost any yet, but I fear it will be soon....

What happens now? When a fish dies do you have to clean the tank or just a partial water change?

stephanieleah 03-02-2010 12:58 AM

bummer! it's hard to lose fish : (

Big Fish 03-02-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperclipGirl (Post 335893)
I am sorry for your losses... I am so new to fishkeeping and I haven't lost any yet, but I fear it will be soon....

What happens now? When a fish dies do you have to clean the tank or just a partial water change?

Appreicated everyones kind words.

This is a very interesting question. Is there something you have to do when fish die? Or, do you simply remove them?

I also have another question. I have been moving feeding to every other day in an attempt to control algae. Could this have made the bigger fish "hungry and aggressive" ?

When I am around and just watch the tank, I never notice any aggressive behaviour other than the same type of fish chasing each other. No real aggressive behaviour from any of the fish that would suggest one is a predator.

The tank environment is very good. My water testing has always show solid consistancy. I do 40% pwc every two weeks.

Plant environment is very healthy. I believe I have a good tank.

All the more puzzling.

We hate losing fish here. Old age is the only excuse acceptable.....:cry:

aunt kymmie 03-02-2010 01:16 AM

We're it me (and it's not) I'd perform water changes on a weekly basis. If there is something going on in your tank that you're not seeing (maybe bacterial/viral?) frequent water changes will aid your remaining fish. Sometimes good, clean fresh water can go a long way as far as a preventative measure.

Big Fish 03-02-2010 01:25 AM

Byron,

You out there!!!

Things are progressing badly.....

I just went down to check again and I lost one more Neon Tetra and my mail guppy is swimming vertical and in obvious distress.

Does anyone have any idea what may be happening?

I did purchase two fish from Big Al's a few days ago. They were two female guppies. One died. Could they be the cause??

What do I do?

(I will do a water change right NOW. Hopefully, that might help, can't hurt)

iamntbatman 03-02-2010 02:19 AM

If you're losing fish suddenly after the addition of new fish and all of your parameters are in line, I'd be tempted to blame the issues on disease brought in by the new fish.

Are there any other visible symptoms of any sort of disease on any of the fish that are still alive? I would remove any dead fish right away to prevent disease passing on from dead fish to those still alive. Water changes are also a plus as maintaining water quality is always important when dealing with just about any issue.