Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What should I feed my tetras? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-should-i-feed-my-tetras-38339/)

musapan 03-01-2010 11:04 AM

What should I feed my tetras?
 
I bought a 20 gallon tank yesterday and set it all up. I added lots of live plants, and stuck a 30 gallon filter on it; I bought a heater as well, and my water is at about 78 degrees right now. I did a water test today, and my water is immaculate. I'm thinking of getting a couple of Black Skirt Tetra and Gold Skirt Tetras either today or tomorrow, but before I do, I want to make sure to buy the best food for them.
Are granules better than flakes for these tetras?
Also, frozen blood worms or brine shrimp? Or are both frozen foods very good for them?

Promelas 03-01-2010 11:52 AM

I feed my tetras small pellets of Spectrum, with blood worms once or twice a week. You said your water is immaculate...what are your parameters? You should research the nitrogen cycle because you will have to cycle your tank before adding many fish. Your water won't remain immaculate once you add fish. The cycle is stressful to fish and many are not tough enough to live through it. I cycled my tank with 6 head and tail light tetras, but many will say to do a fishless cycle and this can take 4-8 weeks depending on your setup.

Edit: Oh and you mentioned that you have a 30g filter on it..hang on back filters are not recommended for planted aquariums so if thats what you have you may want to switch to something else.

redchigh 03-01-2010 12:43 PM

I think that if your tank is HEAVILY planted, with several fast-growing species, cycling isn't completely neccesary.
(The plants will absorb the ammonia as a preferred nitrogen source- just don't fertilise for a few weeks if at all)

Definately add just a few fish at a time, but in a 20 gal, I think 6 tetras would be okay, and after a few weeks buy 6 more, then 6 more, etc.
(just don't put 20 in on the same day!)

You definately need a water test kit, so you can moniter the ammonia, but it shouldn't be a problem.

I use a hang-on-back filter with plants...Just make sure either it's low in the tank, or there's not too much water current produced. (can modify the water output to trickle by attaching a sponge or something over the outtake, leading down into the water) Also, take out all of the activated carbon after a week or so.
Also, don't plant anything around the intake to the filter, and keep the area clear. It should be fine... Note, I said SHOULD be, bot that it definately will.

As far as tetra food, I'm not completely sure. I would imagine any quality granules would be good, since they are mid-water feeders. Floating flakes might be uncomfortable for them to eat. (but they'll probably eat from the surface too... In nature they feed at mid-level)
As far as the live food, variety is best. There's usually not any "perfect" live food, but with bloodworms for fats and protein and shrimps for roughage, you should have your bases covered. (use both sparingly though, packaged food usually is sufficient for day-to-day feeding)

cmc29 03-01-2010 01:01 PM

All the tetras i've ever had were very good eaters. I feed minevegetable flake food, brine shrimp, blood worms, and they eat all of it. I like to mix up their diet, alternating the days i give them the different foods.

musapan 03-01-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promelas (Post 335368)
I feed my tetras small pellets of Spectrum, with blood worms once or twice a week. You said your water is immaculate...what are your parameters? You should research the nitrogen cycle because you will have to cycle your tank before adding many fish. Your water won't remain immaculate once you add fish. The cycle is stressful to fish and many are not tough enough to live through it. I cycled my tank with 6 head and tail light tetras, but many will say to do a fishless cycle and this can take 4-8 weeks depending on your setup.

Edit: Oh and you mentioned that you have a 30g filter on it..hang on back filters are not recommended for planted aquariums so if thats what you have you may want to switch to something else.

Thank you for all your advice. ^_^ I've worked with fish every day for over five years now, I work at a petstore and work exclusively with the fish; so most of what you've said, I'm telling to my customers every day. I know a bit. ;-) heehee
Thanks though! Lots of great info! ^_^

musapan 03-01-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmc29 (Post 335393)
All the tetras i've ever had were very good eaters. I feed minevegetable flake food, brine shrimp, blood worms, and they eat all of it. I like to mix up their diet, alternating the days i give them the different foods.

Great, this is what I was planning on doing! (Meaning to say, I wanted to make sure this is what other people were doing!) I wanted to make sure to give them an extremely varied diet to keep them happy and healthy, I just wasn't sure if brine shrimp was the best thing for them. :) But using both blood worms and brine occasionally sounds like a good plan!

Thank you everyone for all your help!

redchigh 03-01-2010 01:20 PM

Well if I'd known you work at a pet store, my post would have been shorter!

I would have posted:
--------------------

slow-sinking granules are better.

--------------------

lol. Good to know there's at least one person that works in a pet store and actually knows something about fish.

Promelas 03-01-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 335404)
Well if I'd known you work at a pet store, my post would have been shorter!

I would have posted:
--------------------

slow-sinking granules are better.

--------------------

lol. Good to know there's at least one person that works in a pet store and actually knows something about fish.


haha yep, mine too. Out of curiosity, after working at a fish store for 5 years, wouldn't you already know the best food to feed em?

musapan 03-01-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promelas (Post 335414)
haha yep, mine too. Out of curiosity, after working at a fish store for 5 years, wouldn't you already know the best food to feed em?

haha, well, I've never owned tetras of my own before. Now that I'm getting them, I'm being a little over-protective, I guess, and just double-checking my information. ^_^ I usually tell customers to just buy flakes and frozen brine shrimp for their community fish, but I wanted to be a little more thorough with my own fish. xD

Promelas 03-01-2010 01:57 PM

Cool, I'm sure they'll do great!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2