Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
- - What do i need to know and have for a saltwater tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/what-do-i-need-know-have-38334/)
What do i need to know and have for a saltwater tank?
I just got a 75 gallon tank with the stand. It came with a single light but thats all.
ok I have a freshwater tank and I have been running it for a year now, so i have some experience with tanks.
My question is, I am going to try a saltwater tank with the 75 gallon tank. But what I need to know is what do I need to buy for the tank? Everything for live rock and sand, to filters, to lights, ect? Which model and brand to yall recommend? I Just want to know everything i need ot know and need to have for a saltwater tank? i Know that is a lot to ask for but I am trying to learn. lol
There are a few things we would like to know before we get started.
1) Is this a Reef-Ready tank, i.e., does it have holes drilled in it with plastic overflow baffles?
2) Are you planning on doing a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) or a Full Reef? If it is a reef, are you planning on Softies and LPS or SPS?
3) What are your stocking plans?
4) This is in relation to question #1. Are you using a Sump?
5) What is your budget?
With all these questions answered, we can start to get you on the right track.
Now the next thing I am going to say is the reason that Freshwater experience clouds Saltwater judgement: The only forms of filtration you are going to use is: #1) Live Rock. A nice porous rock, about 2/3 of the volume of the tank. #2) Live Sand. 4-6" is optimum for denitrification. #3) Protein Skimmer. This is one place where you will be spending a good amount of money. So no filter pads, no filter floss, no filter sponges and no bio-balls. These are all nutrient traps that unless they are cleaned daiily, are reasons that water quality will degrade quickly.
So let us know where you are at and there are a lot of really experienced people on here that will be able to help you.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.