Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   Setting up 5 gal Hex nano. *Help???* (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/setting-up-5-gal-hex-nano-38305/)

Gambit 02-28-2010 08:32 PM

Setting up 5 gal Hex nano. *Help???*

Ok so im trying to set up a 5gal hex for a nano setup. Right now i have some freshys in there but i am slowly getting ready to convert.

So far what i have done is gutted the stock light and put 2x13watt pc 7000k lights in there and going to put a coralife 50/50 13w in the back part where the crappy built in filter is and replace it with a hang on the back filter. So that part i kno is prety much set but what else do i need to start?

[x]1. Sea salt
[x]2. Live Sand
[x]3. 20gal HOB filter.
[x]4. Heater
[]5. hydromiter
[]6.?
[]7.?

Do i need a power head or a refusetank or anything for a nano this size? wouldnt the 20gal hob filter be enuff? And do i put the carbon filter on the filter or just leave it run with just the bio wheel on it and no filter?

NC Frank 02-28-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 335027)
Ok so im trying to set up a 5gal hex for a nano setup. Right now i have some freshys in there but i am slowly getting ready to convert.

So far what i have done is gutted the stock light and put 2x13watt pc 7000k lights in there and going to put a coralife 50/50 13w in the back part where the crappy built in filter is and replace it with a hang on the back filter. So that part i kno is prety much set but what else do i need to start?

[x]1. Sea salt
[x]2. Live Sand
[x]3. 20gal HOB filter.
[x]4. Heater
[]5. hydromiter
[]6.?
[]7.?

Do i need a power head or a refusetank or anything for a nano this size? wouldnt the 20gal hob filter be enuff? And do i put the carbon filter on the filter or just leave it run with just the bio wheel on it and no filter?

Marine filtering is way different than freshwater. Live rock and live sand should be all you need for a tank this small (def. no HOB filter). You also need a small pump (Hydor Koralia nano for example) for water circulation. You need test kits... your main tests are going to be calcium and hardness once the system is setup correctly. For a tank this small forget mixing your own salt water. Buy pre-made for the initial setup. You will have a hard time getting the salinity just right in a small nano without having marine tank experience.

Gambit 02-28-2010 09:21 PM

so no filtration? just water flow? is all i would need?

NC Frank 02-28-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 335064)
so no filtration? just water flow? is all i would need?

If you have legitimate live rock and live sand (and not the packaged "live" sand) you would not need a filter. The only purpose a HOB filter would be is for carbon filtering if you decided to go that route. If the tank was larger you would have to look for a protein skimmer.

Read the thread that is out there explaining SW filtration. :)

wake49 02-28-2010 09:48 PM

NC is right, but if you ran the HOB filter with just activated carbon, that would solve the water flow and the dissolved organic compounds (DOC) problems. Don't use a filter pad as it will break down ammonia with an end result of nitrates. We try to stay away from nitrates in the saltwater hobby, and water changes are not the way to get rid of them. We prefer to nip them in the bud. THat is what Frank is talking about with Live Rock and Live Sand being the filtration. Denitrifying anaerobic bacteria grow deep inside the rock and underneath the sand as to provide an end to the nitrogen cycle that ends up as nitrogen gas (which leaves the aquarium harmlessly).

Normally we would suggest a protein skimmer, but in the case of a 5 gallon nano, I would just use a bag of activated carbon to absorb DOC's. And NO Bio-Wheel!!!

What are your ideas for stock?

Gambit 02-28-2010 10:13 PM

Ohhh now thats some helpful stuff. I have ran my brothers 55gal tank but that was all set up and all i had to do was water changes and the skimers and the rest did itself prety much i kno he had that big overflow tank and all this mombo jumbo that i never messed with cause if u touched it it would leak. But the nano im sure will be close to the same. Just needa learn how to set it up and what all i need in it. i kinda knew it didnt really need allll that equipment on it just didnt kno what it did and or didnt need.

As for what im not sure yet. since i dont have the right lighting i will probly find some low lighting softys for now at the lfs. im hitting right now about 5.2 wpg with 7000k lights and like i said once i move my freshwaters out the tank i will add 13w 50/50 to it and that should bring me to about the right amout of lighting. i mainly want to get the rock and sand in it in about week and half or so im still waiting for my 10g to cycle for the fish in it now.

and for fish i was looking at a watchmen gbby and pistol later down the line.

Gambit 02-28-2010 11:05 PM

If i add activated carbon to the hob would i need a phosphate sponge too then... and basicly the rest is done from the rock and sand. and i would just have to keep an eye on all the levels and dilly dally with them as needed like the 55 gal i had... seems simple enuff. I still have my test kits and strips from that old tank i had too so i should be set on that.

*BTW* I still have some old rocks from that tank but they are too big if i broke them and made them smaller would that work for making a structure in there? i dont know much about saltwater tanks... he just showed me how to keep the tank maintained and i kept it going for 2 years till someone broke the front glass and i had to rush all my fish to the lfs lol the guy was in a panic tryn to help me and find open tanks for them kinda sprung it on him but i made off with 600$ profit in all the live fish and corals i wasnt gonna complain.