Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Waterlogging Driftwood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/waterlogging-driftwood-38283/)

Kelso 02-28-2010 04:57 PM

Waterlogging Driftwood

It's been about two weeks and I still can't get this wood to sink...is there a trick? I don't want to sink it using stones or anything...any advice would be appreciated.

redchigh 02-28-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelso (Post 334832)
It's been about two weeks and I still can't get this wood to sink...is there a trick? I don't want to sink it using stones or anything...any advice would be appreciated.

Well, I normally place the driftwood in a bucket of water under a large rock.
(at least the rock isn't there permenantly. I assumed you meant that you didn't want to attach it to a rock?)
In anywhere from 2 weeks to a month, it will be waterlogged.
Just an idea, I've heard warm water will speed the process...
Can't really rush nature though.

JohnnyD44 02-28-2010 05:23 PM

I boiled mine for about an hour, let it sit over night and it was good to go.....I would try red's idea..can't hurt to weight it down while it trys to soak in

Angel079 02-28-2010 06:09 PM

Poor boiling hot water in with it eg a big rubermaid bin that's large enough to house your DW piece and then hot water. Placing stones (or anything heavy) on to it to force it under the water will help it to soak up indeed.

Byron 02-28-2010 06:09 PM

Different types of wood have different behaviours:-D. Don't say what you have, but the light-coloured Mopani wood in my experience never sinks without either being secured to a piece of slate then buried under the gravel (provided there is sufficient gravel to hold down the size of wood) or wedged with rocks. The darker woods usually sink easily.

Kelso 02-28-2010 06:14 PM

Well, I do have a lighter wood and it's been in cold water...maybe some hot water is in order. Thanks guys...it will definitely sink one day though, right?

Angel079 02-28-2010 06:17 PM

Put it in boiling hot water for 1-2 days and force it down so far that has worked for me on 'stubborn' wood :-)

Kelso 02-28-2010 06:34 PM

How am I supposed to keep it in boiling water? And they aren't exactly small pieces that'll fit on the range.

Angel079 02-28-2010 06:40 PM

If they're super large like 3-4ft then i'd use the bath tub and turn that water as far into the red as you can. Smaller pieces you can put in buckets or plastic bins and poor hot water over it.
I always boil the water; poor it over it; exchange on day 2 with new hot water and day 3 it usually goes in to the tank. On stubborn wood like I said force it down with whatever heavy stuff you may have flying around there and leave it forced under water for a few days exchanging hot water each day, has worked well for me before.

JohnnyD44 02-28-2010 08:12 PM

I just bought a huge cooking pot....its gigantic!

It also lets me cook lots of crabs this summer :-)