Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   getting a lot of plants this week...ever heard of pond petunia? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/getting-lot-plants-week-ever-heard-38281/)

redchigh 02-28-2010 05:37 PM

getting a lot of plants this week...ever heard of pond petunia?

I don't really have any questions, just wanted to share my excitement!

I've had plants before, sure. Aponos, Java fern, masses... nothing real substantial though.

Ordered earlier at Sweet Aquatics:

Water Wisteria (Hygrophila Difformis)
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum Demersum)
Shinnersia Rivularis
Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf sag)
Vallisneria Asiatica Var. Biwaensis (Corkscrew Val)
Echinodorus Bleheri (Amazon Sword)
Cabomba Caroliniana (Green Cabomba)

And when I also talked to mary, and told her I would take smaller bunches or smaller stems if she could throw in some extra varieties, and she said she would!
She's also sending me some MTS and maybe ramshorns for free. (can you believe, under $18 shipped!)

I'll also be getting from someone else (trading a bunch of guppies for:)
duckweed
fairy moss (azolla)
water lettuce
pondweed (egeria densa)
pond petunia

this week sometime too.

It's a lot of plants....
hope I'm up to the challenge!

BTW, most of the plants are going into a 5G. It'll be quite a jungle soon. :)

Can anyone reccomend a few of the most hardy ones to put in my Gup tank? (t's PH is eventually going to be 7.5 It's 6.4 now :-/

Byron 02-28-2010 07:05 PM

Of the plants you list, most suitable for basic harder water would be Vallisneria, Sagittaria, Hornwort, and Egeria. These actually prefer harder water. Some others that will adapt fine are Echinodorus bleheri (a nice single speciment plant in a smaller aquarium though it will grow to the tank size); and Wisteria and Shinnersia although one thing with these is their size--they grow very fast and choke out other plants in smaller tanks. Obviously duckweed will grow in anything remotely watery:-).

I've no idea what pond petunia is, a Google search tells me it is a pond plant but that's as far as I went. It may not be too good for warmer aquaria, or it may be too large, I didn't go further as I say.

Angel079 02-28-2010 07:13 PM

SA are just plain awesome folks IMO for customer care - If only every place could be like them!

Uhm I think I'm misunderstanding something...you're putting ALL THAT in a 5g :shock:

I donno the pond petunian either but sure looks nice googling pictures....so tell me how these work for ya and I may try to find some here for our pond actually!

redchigh 02-28-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 334885)
SA are just plain awesome folks IMO for customer care - If only every place could be like them!

Uhm I think I'm misunderstanding something...you're putting ALL THAT in a 5g :shock:

I donno the pond petunian either but sure looks nice googling pictures....so tell me how these work for ya and I may try to find some here for our pond actually!

All of it's not going in the 5 gal, but most of the SA order will. The others will constribute to my two 10g's.

thats why i was wondering about hard water :)

Angel079 02-28-2010 10:48 PM

Neat long list for a 5g :-)