Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Tropical Fish, Electric Blue Sick, lung infection? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/tropical-fish-electric-blue-sick-lung-3828/)

portelli 03-04-2007 03:55 AM

Tropical Fish, Electric Blue Sick, lung infection?

Hi
Looking for help for friend

His 10 cm electric blue female past away this morning. :(
The male is down low gulping the water and resting

Only change was a fish food flake, just introduced. Water temp was high

I have the ph to 7 (it was under)
I have hardened the water, as it was soft
I did a partial water change with a gravel siphon
I checked the ammonia level, its nil
Lowered water temp to 27DC

all other fish are looking well :D

He has now moved since, :) still gulping

Cheers
Gerry

:(

Daz 03-04-2007 10:34 AM

Do you mean a Dempsey or Malawi?

portelli 03-04-2007 03:19 PM

it is a Malawi

musho3210 03-04-2007 03:25 PM

Can you tell us everything youve done and added to the tank 24 hours before the first fish died, what chemicals did you add, how much water did you change, salt etc everything

portelli 03-04-2007 04:03 PM

For your information mushroom the fish is now fine

SinisterKisses 03-04-2007 04:06 PM

I'm going to say the same thing as I did in the other post, before I realized there were two:

Well, first off, which "electric blue?" There are four or five Malawi species that go by this common name.

As for the problem, gasping is a sign of a lack of oxygen in the tank. Have you tested the ammonia level in the tank? Adding an air pump or another filter to increase the surface movement of the water will help aerate it more.

musho3210 03-04-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portelli
For your information mushroom the fish is now fine

this fish doesnt seem fine if it is "gulping" the water, also do you know why and how the first one died? What are your complete water params

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Ph

portelli 03-04-2007 04:52 PM

Please refer to first message,

also water was air rated

and fish is looking good

Name of fish, Sciaenochromis Ahli, haplochromis

Hope this helps you mushroom!!! I hope this hasn't been keeping you in the dark.

musho3210 03-04-2007 05:27 PM

the first post only says ammonia, we need nitrite and nitrate, what was the ph before you "hardened" the water, there might have been a dangerous ph drop for some reason, we need to know why, my biggest bet on why the fish is gulping is that there are nitrites in the water.

SinisterKisses 03-04-2007 05:55 PM

Sorry, didn't see the "nil ammonia" part in the OP. Anyway, I wouldn't be so quick to brush it off now that the fish is supposedly "back to normal." There is a reason one fish died, and a reason one fish was gasping - and it may not be fixed yet. I'd check the water for nitrites and nitrates as suggested.