Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Help! Need good filter for 75g!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/help-need-good-filter-75g-38252/)

Lovelyl0 02-28-2010 06:21 AM

Help! Need good filter for 75g!!!!

Hello!

My boyfriend bought me a beautiful 75 gallon tank for Christmas, I am in the process of getting it set up before I transfer my fish from my 30 gallon tank. I use sand as a substrate and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what sort of filtration I should get for my 75 gallon?

The tank is NOT drilled for a canister filter so I will need to go with a hang on the back one.

Please let me know any suggestions you guys may have including brands if you know them.

Thanks so much-:thankyou:

iamntbatman 02-28-2010 06:27 AM

You don't need to drill your tank for a canister filter. Drilling is only needed for things like sumps. Canisters just have an intake hose and an output hose that attach to the sides of your tank.

Is this tank going to be planted? What fish are you planning on keeping in it?

Lovelyl0 02-28-2010 06:32 AM

No its not planted, I have a Blood Parrot that just digs up anything I try to put down, and I have a 8in Pleco, as well as an Albino Bristlenose Pleco (hes small and will remain small I'm pretty sure). They all love the sand as I switched from this disgusting gravel substrate, but I just want the best filter I can possibly have despite which kind it is. If that makes sense.

JohnnyD44 02-28-2010 08:36 AM

WELCOME!!!!!

you have two options, as batman pointed out....HOB(hang on back) or a canister...

HOB are great, many people have them and use them. I have always used Marineland products. For your 75G you could get away with two of their Bio-Wheel 350's....it's more than enough filtration for your tank. There are other great HOB out there, but this is the only one I can comment on....

Canisters are great too, and as batman pointed out, you don't need to have a drilled tank to use them. I have a Marineland Magnum 350 canister....it's so quiet!!(as are most canisters) Some other really popular canisters include.....Ehiem, Fluval and Rena....

It's all a personal preference really, so maybe do some research and see what you like the best...others will be along to comment on their canisters....

One side note....anything you decide to go with, make sure that the intake tube isnt too close to the sand bottom.....when your fish dig into the sand, it'll kick sand into your tube, which in return will damage the propeller and cause your filter to not run so smooth....it happened to my 20G....had to replace it...

iamntbatman 03-01-2010 04:17 AM

If you're not going planted, then HOB filters are definitely the cheaper option. An Emperor 400 or two would be great. Or, you could mix things up and get one HOB and one canister filter. Either way, I think you'll want to "overfilter" the tank since you've got some messy fish in it. Having multiple filters is nice as it allows you to really customize your water flow and filter media, plus if one filter breaks you've still got others running.

Tyyrlym 03-02-2010 02:14 PM

With two plecos I'd be looking at a pair of Penguin 350's or a pair of Emperor 280's, maybe an Emperor 400 and a 280. You've got some messy fish but a great size tank. Plenty of room for multiple filters. Personally I'm partial to Marineland filters, they're tough and I think the biowheel is superior to conventional piles of foam. That said Aquaclear makes a very nice HOB as well. I'm not big on canisters unless you're planting the tank.

beetlebz 03-03-2010 04:58 PM

agreed. ive personally just fell in love with aquaclear HOB filters, though i have a marineland penguin thats been through the ringer a few times and that thing is a champ.

dwayne wade 03-09-2010 10:02 AM

I have the marineland penguin 200 and it works really good. Ive always used penguin. I had an agressive tank in the 90s but the tank started leaking and that was it had to get rid of the fish. But we never lost a fish in it when we had the marineland filter and the water was right.

LisaC144 03-09-2010 10:18 AM

I used the Aquaclear 110 and switch over the the Eheim 2213 when I went planted. I liked the Aquaclear for a HOB filter. It was easy to use and media never needed replacing.

Angel079 03-09-2010 11:07 AM

I just send you a PM maybe I can help on the filter matter since I have so many unused one's in my closet here :-)