Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   HELP!! New fish! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-new-fish-3821/)

iPesci 03-03-2007 04:46 PM

HELP!! New fish!

I just got new fish 2 glow fish. One if fine. The other is in the corner sitting there! :shock: What do I do??!! :dunno: :BIGweepy: :blueshake: :shake:

musho3210 03-03-2007 05:36 PM

are they the zebra danio glo-fish or the glowlight danios/tetras?

iPesci 03-03-2007 07:55 PM

They are Danios.

musho3210 03-03-2007 08:16 PM

glowlight or glo fish, thats all i need to know..... there are glo-fish danios, and glowlight danios, both are very different with one being chemically mutated and the other natural. They both act differently so we need to know which one you have, what color is it?

iPesci 03-04-2007 11:15 AM

They are hot pick.
Glow fish

musho3210 03-04-2007 11:53 AM

ok then there isnt enough of them to properly school, (these are the mutated ones so they can be quite different from zebra danios) there should be at minimum 6 of them so they can create a pecking order

fish_4_all 03-04-2007 05:05 PM

Well it could be a couple things. The first could be an unhealthy fish form the LFS. The second would be too short of an acclimation period and the one that is sulking is having a hard time adjusting. Do you add any tank water ot the bag before adding them to the tank? Also, what are the tank paramemters, most important are pH, nitrites and nitrates. If you can test for them let us know the numbers.

Are there any other fish in the tank and has it been cycled?

musho3210 03-04-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
Well it could be a couple things. The first could be an unhealthy fish form the LFS. The second would be too short of an acclimation period and the one that is sulking is having a hard time adjusting. Do you add any tank water ot the bag before adding them to the tank? Also, what are the tank paramemters, most important are pH, nitrites and nitrates. If you can test for them let us know the numbers.

Are there any other fish in the tank and has it been cycled?

forgot to ask him about ammonia :)

ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
PH
how long you acclimated
Tank size
Filters running
temperature

We need all of those, when i first got my bolivian rams they sulked a lot near the heater and didnt move at all for 7 hours before my tank heated up, even after a 45 minute drip acclimate, the danios might not be used to the temperature so it isnt moving around.

fish_4_all 03-04-2007 05:38 PM

Nice catch. Get your results if you can and just keep an eye on it. It should come to in a day or so if it is going to be ok.

TheXman 03-05-2007 05:12 AM

Actually, the glo fish are technically still the same species as zebra danios, so they will act exactly like zebra danios (whatever that means) I once had two zebras in a tank and they were fine, would chase each other around constantly. I also currently have five in my tank now, it was six, but one always separated himself from the others like iPesci is describing, he wouldn't eat no matter what I fed or did, and he wasted away until I had to euthanize him.
But back to the glo fish vs. zebrafish behavior, glo fish just have a fluorescent protein gene inserted into their genome. I work in a lab that does this with mice all the time for research and it doesn't change their behavior at all. He will also recognize other zebrafish as the same species. Sounds to me like you just got a sick fish, unfortunately, it also sounds like fish TB, but maybe he just needs time to adjust. Give it some time, and feed him something that he'll really like such as frozen bloodworms.