Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Tropical fish food (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/tropical-fish-food-38199/)

Mean Harri 02-27-2010 02:32 PM

Tropical fish food

Just wondering what ya'll use. Specifically for small Tetras and cory cats.
Are the typical store brands good food?
I was thinking about ordering food from Kensfish. I don't know much about fish food. Dog and cat food I can tell you all you want to know. Fish food? pffft I got nothing.

Comment/discuss

Angel079 02-27-2010 03:15 PM

I like using mixes (also on my Tetra tank yes) various frozen foods; mini pellets and flakes.

I used to always buy Tetra foods; but recently just for the heck of it ordered at Petsolution anyway and ordered their brand of the mini pellets and lemme tell ya any & all tank mates are all over that stuff when I feed them that.

Any & All brands are very balances food sources these days but what I find best is really mixing a bunch different foods so they're not doomed to 1 diet only, know what I mean?

Mean Harri 02-27-2010 03:42 PM

Just came across this site. Anyone ever hear of/use it? Natural Tropical Fish Food - Fish Food Online Store

iamntbatman 02-28-2010 04:36 AM

For prepared foods, brands like Omega One, Nutrafin and Ocean Nutrition are pretty much the top of the heap. Certain Hikari prepared foods are also very good. Middle of the road brands include Tetra and Wardley. The bottom shelf stuff is pretty much store brand (Top Fin) and is junk. I try to get the top shelf stuff when it's on sale in large quantities, but I use middle of the road stuff for things like algae wafers and shrimp pellets that the top brands don't make (or if they do, I haven't seen them). Compare the ingredients in Omega One pellets (Whole salmon, whole herring, whole shrimp) to Top Fin (Fish meal, ground brown rice, dried yeast). I like Hikari for frozen foods but I get those Sally's flat packs for brine shrimp.

My "normal" fish, i.e. the ones that readily eat prepared foods, get prepared foods for every meal of the week except for two or three. The type depends on the fish, or sometimes I just switch it up for the heck of it. Flakes and pellets, sinking pellets/wafers for bottom feeders, etc. I have a few stubborn fish that only eat frozen and live foods so I have to feed those accordingly. Also, veggie-eating fish get fresh veggies once a week or so.

Basically, variety is the spice of life.

Edit: I've also heard good things about thatfishplace's store brand.

Mean Harri 03-01-2010 06:39 PM

Thanks batman. I've also read that New Life Spectrum is supposed to be some top shelf stuff as well. I don't know who sells it though. I'll have to dig around.

aunt kymmie 03-01-2010 07:26 PM

New Life Spectrum is one of the foods I feed. I consider it one of the "top shelf" brands. If you can find it get the Spectrum Thera + A by New Life. I like it as it contains garlic.

Mean Harri 03-01-2010 07:32 PM

I checked out Omega One's sight. They have a Marine garlic but say it can be used with FW fish as well. They seem really high end. I may try that route. NLS too. I need to look.

iamntbatman 03-02-2010 04:23 AM

Whoops, forgot that one. NLS is good stuff, too. Unfortunately the one LFS that sells it around here went out of business so I don't have any of their foods anymore.

1077 03-02-2010 05:22 AM

Can't find a single store in my area that carries New Life Spectrum. I usually mix a variety of freezedried and flake foods for tetras ,,by several different brand names,, into rubbermaid or tuppeware container and store in fridge.
For cory's it's mostly frozen foods offered at night after lights out along with what they find after feeding the other fish during the day. All fish are fed once a day with exception of guppy fry.

JohnnyD44 03-02-2010 07:46 PM

I'm glad I read up on here...I might change the food I use...ever since i started this hobby I use the plain and simple "Tetra Color" flakes......

I might step it up and maybe my fish will be healthier and grow faster!