Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Vallisneria Problem (Kinda- Overgrowth) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/vallisneria-problem-kinda-overgrowth-38195/)

Angel079 02-27-2010 01:56 PM

Vallisneria Problem (Kinda- Overgrowth)

I sorta have a different kinda plant issue here since I lowered my lights down in the 55g my Vallisneria are TAKING OVER.

I don't mean grow well I really MEAN TAKING OVER they're just cutting short of being 4ft long now :shock: and not just one type Vallis neither its all of them (Corkscrew, Spiralis, Leopard).

They already cover half my surface entirely at this point so I actually took the frogbit out so the plants below get SOME light at least but these Vallis do not seem to stop growing.....

I don't think I can trim them like you would with a stem plant but I have to do something before they fully invade my tank here anyone had that problem before???:-?

PS the Amazon Swords seem to be in overdrive with daughter plants as well but at least these I can take off/ out so that's less an issue others then running out of floor space in my tanks.

Mean Harri 02-27-2010 02:56 PM

I'd grab a handful like you would grab someones pony tail and chop them right off to the length you want. What else you gonna do? (shrugs)

Angel079 02-27-2010 03:12 PM

But not being stem plants that'll kill each leaf doing so from the top down then :-( I don't wanna do that neither.....

Mean Harri 02-27-2010 03:14 PM

I thought you could chop them down from the top. I can't believe it would kill them. If they can't be chopped then I'm replacing them in my tank. They're bugging me anyhow.

Angel079 02-27-2010 03:19 PM

Well its like any house or outdoors plant if you take a given leaf and cop it in half what happens? The rest leaf die's off too.

I actually like the 4xl look but in its spot its sorta unfortunate right now - I am thinking tank remodeling ahead of me :-)

Why don't you like your's because of the looks? I love any type Vallis just send them my way then i'll find them a new good home :-)

Mean Harri 02-27-2010 04:24 PM

My one Anubias has half a leaf and it's not dying. My Rubin sword has a leaf that is ripped to wear it is barely attached to the rest of the leaf and it's not dying.

My Vals are a mess. Browning stalks and I have them planted so think it's real tough to get in under them and around them at substrate level to get the dead stuff laying down there. It's bugging me.

Angel079 02-27-2010 10:30 PM

Take your val's out of the tank cut off all outer leaves that are yellow/ brown; even if you only have 2-3 leaves in the center left then and space them apart in your tank.
Dim question (I'm sure you do but wanna double check) I know you have the special substrate there but you also use flourish as a liquid fert (which is what the val's would feed off) right?

I'm always happy when I have a question and it turns into a thread over something totally else and I'm still sitting here with my question LMAO but at least i can (maybe) help you before your plants wind up in the bin.

Mean Harri 02-27-2010 11:59 PM

I didn't mention "my problem" to change your subject. I mentioned it because as you can see, I have "half ripped/cut leaves and they aren't dying. Hence why I thought you could cut your Vals. Ok I added a little extra about mess around the bottom. FORGIVE ME!
I forgot I'm not one of a handful that are the "Holy Grail" of answers.

Mean Harri 02-28-2010 12:31 AM

found this in a google search. it's relevant

Most rosette plants cannot be “pruned” like a stem plant. With Vallisneria and Sagittaria, some people trim the ends of the leaves if they lay across the water surface and block light. The disadvantage of this method of trimming is that the damaged end of the leaf often begins to rot. Eventually, the whole leaf will die back. The best answer is to use those species that will not outgrow the height of the tank they are kept in. Alternatively, it is preferable to remove the longer outside leaves while allowing the shorter, young inner leaves to grow rather than to damage the leaves by shortening them.
Vallisneria, Sagittaria, Cryptocoryne and some Echinodorus species spread by runner, just below the surface of the substrate. A healthy bed of Vallisneria will need regular thinning or it will begin to take over the tank. Large, older plants can be thinned from the middle of the bed by feeling around them to find the attached runners and severing them as you slowly work the plant out of the group. Removing young plants from edges of the stand is easier. These can just be pulled up — roots, runners and all — and pinched from the parent stand at any convenient point.

Angel079 02-28-2010 11:39 AM

:| had you missed the last part of my post? I thought you knew me better then that by now.
Thanks for the article;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mean Harri (Post 334404)
I didn't mention "my problem" to change your subject. I mentioned it because as you can see, I have "half ripped/cut leaves and they aren't dying. Hence why I thought you could cut your Vals. Ok I added a little extra about mess around the bottom. FORGIVE ME!
I forgot I'm not one of a handful that are the "Holy Grail" of answers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 334363)
I'm always happy when I have a question and it turns into a thread over something totally else and I'm still sitting here with my question LMAO but at least i can (maybe) help you before your plants wind up in the bin.