Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Filter Media Question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Andyandsue 
#1 ·
I have an eclipse tank with a bio wheel. Does anyone know if I have to use the filter cartridge sold for this tank for proper filtration? I have a phosphate issue and I'm currently using other filter media to lower the phosphates. The wheel is moving along, but there is no carbon (which I understand can contribute to phosphate and algae) and it's just a cut to fit style. I am thinking of taking apart an eclipse filter and removing the carbon and replacing the floss with the phosphate lowering one, so it will "fit" properly as far as water flow.

Sorry I really rambled on there. I hope I made it understandable. I had this in my head and just went with it. :wink:

#2 ·
No, you don't have to use the filter cartridge they sell for them.

Many people take the cart and slice it open, pour out the charcoal, and use it that way (and only wash them off in tank water once in a while, to get the gunk off of it - like uneaten food).

Some don't use them at all, and instead will use filtration floss, or a hunk of foam, or even both if the filter can hold it all.

It's really up to you and what you are trying to achieve with it, from the three aspects of filtration: mechanical (foam, floss, the cartridge itself), chemical (phosphate, nitrate, et.al. removers, charcoal, etc) and biological (the biowheel, ceramic nuggets or bioballs that the bacteria can hang out on).

Even an empty h.o.b. filter would do some biological filtration, since the bacteria would have a little place to grow...but it certainly wouldn't be much.

#3 ·
Excellent, thank you. That is what I thought. I'm going to get my knife and start slicing right now! With my phosphate issue I'm going to use the plastic form without the carbon, and use phosphate lowering floss.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.