Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Larger canister when using a surface skimmer? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/larger-canister-when-using-surface-skimmer-38094/)

LMychajluk 02-26-2010 12:17 PM

Larger canister when using a surface skimmer?

Just looking for some opinions on this...

When using a surface skimmer, the skimmer has 2 inputs (one at the surface, one at the bottom of the tube). Since the flow to the filter is split between the 2 inputs, I would think this reduces the suction at the lower intake (compared to having just a basket). So, if using a surface skimmer, would you want to increase the total flow of the filter by either opening any flow controls or even upgrading to a larger filter with a greater flow rate?

Basically, I have a planted 44g corner fw community tank with a Fluval 305 on it, and I don't really need 'current' in the tank. But, I have an opportunity to get a 405 really cheap, move all my media over, and maybe use the 305 on another tank down the line (maybe a 27g or 35g Hex). There's a pretty good deal on the 305 as well, so I can also just get another 305 for the future tank. I know you can never have 'too much' filtration, but would the output from the 405 be too much for the 44g? (I don't have the specs in front of me, but I think it was in the neighborhood of a 30-35% increase in flow from the 305 to the 405.)

Mean Harri 02-26-2010 05:56 PM

I wouldn't swap them on the current tank. If you get the 405 for down the road use it as the first step for a bigger tank ;)

WisFish 03-05-2010 01:03 PM

I'm not sure what your concern is here. The filter, whether it has a skimmer or not, will still be filtering the same amount of water per minute. The output or flow should still be the same as well.

LMychajluk 03-05-2010 06:56 PM

I agree the ammount of water filtered and output would be the same. I was wondering if the 'suction' at the lower strainer would be diminished because the 'power' of the suction is split between the lower strainer and upper basket, and if it would be worth it to increase the total flow to make the suction of the lower strainer on the skimmer equal to that of the the larger basket strainer that came w/ the filter?

WisFish 03-05-2010 10:42 PM

I see. I guess the only advantage to increasing the suction would be to draw things closer to the basket if they were just out of reach. But over time I'm sure most particles would be drawn in. The disadvantage of increasing the suction would be as Byron stated. The suction may be too great for smaller fish. I guess I wouldn't worry about it.