Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First time fish owner, can I get some hints? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-time-fish-owner-can-i-38066/)

Esperanza 02-26-2010 12:41 AM

First time fish owner, can I get some hints?

Hello All,

I've decided to purchase a Siamese Fighting Fish (SFF) sometime soon and would greatly appreciate some help in this venture lol. There are a few things that I'd love some advice on so:

1) Can I put about 6+ Neon Tetras in with him? I've been getting some mixed messages on whether I can keep them with the SFF so is that possible or will them get eaten?

2) On tank size, would 20L (aprox 4.5 gallon) be an ok size for my SFF? Or do I need something bigger? If I wanted the two species of fish in the same tank do I need a bigger tank? If you could answer in L that would be awesome but I can convert from gallons :)

3) The sites I've been on say that I should feed him 1-2 times a day - True? and if I feed him mostly pellets should I throw a bit of live food in there occasionally? Can I feed the tetras this too or do I need to buy different food for them?

If I think of anything else I'll add it later :)

Thanks in advance for your help :)

iamntbatman 02-26-2010 04:07 AM

Welcome to TFK!

I'm not sure I would keep neons with a betta. I've heard of bettas eating neons before. Instead, I would consider cardinal tetras as they look very similar to neons but grow a bit bigger. They're pretty "fragile"; they prefer an established tank. If I were you I would get a standard 10g tank (I guess about 38L). Something about 20L would be just fine if you only wanted the betta.

Have you read up on the aquarium cycle yet? One of the stickies in this section of the forum is titled "Important Topics" and has links to lots of useful articles, including to descriptions of the aquarium cycle, which is pretty much the most important thing for new hobbyists to understand if you want to get off on the right foot.

One to two feedings per day would be fine. The staple diet should be a high quality prepared food like flakes or pellets, but you can supplement with frozen or live foods. Frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms are pretty simple and fish really go nuts for them.

kelly528 02-26-2010 02:49 PM

1) Sometimes bettas will eat the neons and sometimes the neons will nip the betta's fins. It's a touch-and-go thing. You will need a 10g tank to have room enough for both species, since neons nee to be kept in a group of 6 or more.

2) 4.5g will be fantastic for a betta. It allows room for a filter, a small tankmate ie a snail or some ghost shrimp, andyou can heat it safely (most heaters will cook water in a volume of under 1g). Furthermore the large volume of water makes dissolved waste ie ammonia more dilute and therefore less toxic. In a larger volume of water, pH, temperature and other water parameters will also be more stable and change slower than tthey would in, say, a 1g.

3) Feedings are good. Make sure you are feeding a staple of pellets as bettas are extremely prone to bloat and therefore sensitive to foods that swell up with water in the gut like flakes or freeze-dried. Supplemental live and or frozen feedings will stave off boredom and enrich your bettas diet.

I suggest you check out our forum specfically for bettas, found Here,