Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Bumblebee Platy babies! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/bumblebee-platy-babies-38016/)

eileen 02-25-2010 05:10 PM

Bumblebee Platy babies!

1 Attachment(s)
I have some bumblebee Platies (New Strain) I bought awhile ago. Well One of the momma's had babies for the first time. She had about 17. Some of them were all black or black with very little yellow those are the ones I have the most as black is a dominate color. The other ones were mostly yellow with a few spots of black and the ones I like the best are full bumblebee's with the black masks and the yellow and black. I'm going to keep the black ones because I have never heard of Black platies or ones that look like mine. I tryed taking a pictures but they are just so small at 1 week old. I will rehome the odd ball ones that don't fit my breeding stock. Another one that I spotted was a calico color one with yellow,black, and a little red in the tail. This one I will rehome but it is cute.

biokid101 02-25-2010 06:23 PM

cute!!! it has a cool color! hence bumblebee

molliefan09 02-25-2010 06:29 PM

very cute little baby!! looks big for 1 week!! mine at 4 weeks looked about the same size (they were mollies)

Jayy 02-25-2010 06:40 PM

Wow I've never seen that coloration pretty!

Austin 02-25-2010 08:22 PM

Cute fish! I want some bumblebee platies now! :p

But wow... 1 week? How the heck did you get them to grow so quickly... mine are likeeee 3-4 weeks old and now even near that big...

eileen 02-25-2010 09:46 PM

The picture that I posted was not the baby bumblebee. That one was almost full grown. I will have to take pictures of the babies once they get older.My black ones are really pretty. I think I will call them my Black Beauties. The eyes on those look like the bumblebees eyes sort of white with their bodies sort of velvety black. I was able to get this kind at a Petco in my area but most do not have this type. Last time I went they raised the price on these since I bought a few last time. I guess they figure they are popular and hard to find. It is an interesting color combo. I can't wait to post pictures of the babies as they get older.

eileen 03-01-2010 08:34 PM

2 wk. old Bumblebee platy fry PICS

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures that I took today of my 2 week old Bumblebee Platy fry.
1. Picture is the yellow/black colored fry
2. Picture of 1 yellow/black colored fry
3. Picture of the Black ones that was born from the Momma Bumblebee Platy, I have about 5-6
of this type. Black being more domanate.

The Momma Bumblebee had 4 types of colors come out of her fry. I had plain yellow fry not pictured
as I put these in my big tank as I did not want this color.

Yellow/ black

Yellow/black masked faces this is the type I want to keep like in the older bumblebee picture

Yellow/black/red this type I will rehome as I do not want red on the body. This one has alittle red
on it's tail- Calico like .

Black velvet color- I'm keeping these to raise as I never have seen total black platies and they are
so cute. Some have a like white on the underbelly. It reminds me of a Orca killer whale pattern, I
might have a few with a bit of yellow but not much. Their eyes are cute as they are white like in
the picture.

biokid101 03-01-2010 09:09 PM

ooo they r sooo cute!! i SOOO WANT THEM!! no pet stores around here have any of them!!

eileen 03-01-2010 10:12 PM

I found mine at a Petco that has a bigger aquatic dept. and sometimes they order new types of fish. I had 2 females, 1 male but never got any babies from my females. My male died and I went back to the petco and they told me that they would not be getting anymore. I went to this place Kahoot's and they had a mixed Platy tank. I noticed some Bumblebees in the tank. I bought 3 and they were $1.98 each. One of the females gave birth and that's how I got these babies. I ended up taking the female momma fish back as I already had 3 females and I had about 17 babies. I went back to the petco where I originally bought my Bumblebee Platies and saw that they ordered more. I bought 1 male Bumblebee platy. I now have 2 females and 1 male that I know is a male for sure. The other one is still young but looks to be a male. Petco raised the price from $2.49 to $2.99 for the Bumblebees. I'm just glad that I was able to get a male. I hope to raise these in my big community 55 gal tank and a new 20 gal tank with a 10 gal. to raise the tiny babies. I saw someone on Aquabid awhile back that wanted $40 for a pair and someone posted I think 1 for $15 so I knew this was a good idea to breed these nice looking platiies as People do want them.It will take awhile to get the full black masks that I want and the bumblebee pattern so I'm keeping the black ones and the bumblebee pattern ones. Some of the odd ball ones will get rehomed. I have to get some heat packs and shipping bags to ship these later on when I get a bigger stock on hand.

Austin 03-02-2010 07:37 AM

Cute babies! My bumblebee platy had babies the day after I got it! :D lol. Caught about 9. The more yellow colored ones are hard to tell from my other platy babies so gotta wait for them to grow up to count :S. I wanted to buy another female but they only had 2 left at the fish store, and they looked unhealthy. :( And mine had babies right before I went... figured I'd just save one female baby. Must be easier to find in cali? ;p

Mine were $1.99, btw. :p

Also ummm eileen are the black ones in the last pic ok? O_o their bellies look funny.

@biokid: I'd offer to send a couple of my babies when they grow up, but doubt you wanna pay like 15$ in shipping... but if you do message me lol.