Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   When to put molly in breeding box (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/when-put-molly-breeding-box-37975/)

TankMAster 02-25-2010 12:03 PM

When to put molly in breeding box

I've been looking around the Internet for pictures of pregnant female mollies ready to be placed in a breeder box.

If anyone has images or links to images, please share.

Thanks!

pretzelsz 02-25-2010 05:55 PM

Put them in when(based on swordtail experience) when below the black gravid spot ecpands then the babies come out pt her in then...pay attention

mastermindc3pro 02-25-2010 06:46 PM

Ive had a pregnant mollie, however i dont have any pics, but from experience mollies give birth at night, so your gona wana put her in the breeder net or box at night. Also your molly the back will square off by the fins and she will look like a balloon ready to pop.

Austin 02-25-2010 07:19 PM

If you notice her not coming up to eat, her stomach looks a little bulging out in the back, right above where she would poop. And if you see some fry in the tank. :P Thats how I knew my last one was going to give birth.

I would NOT put her in the breeding box unless you KNOW she is going to give birth. I recommend writting down when she gives birth, and then next time, about a month later, keep a close eye on her... When you catch her giving birth... move her to the box.

Put lots of fake/real plants so in case you don't catch her in time the babies will survive. My tank has like 13 fish in a 29 gallon tank, and even when she gave birth in the tank, plenty of fish survived since I caught them not too long after.

kald 02-26-2010 12:04 PM

I have two suggestions that could greatly decrease the chance of stress on your mother fish.

1) Do not put her in the breeder box; cover the bottom of the tank with lots of java moss. Where I live, LFS give it away free. This lets the fry hide from larger fish. You can then scoop them up and put them in the breeder box. I've been doing this for months, and I have had many fry live. In fact, most fish in my community tank were born there :)

2) If you have multiple tanks, move the large fish to another tank after the mother gives birth. You can then let the fry establish their own tank without any other fish. My friend does this, and it's a great way to ensure safety and health.

Hope this helps, though it's a little off topic.

TankMAster 02-27-2010 03:47 AM

No, its fine. I greatly appreciate all the help!

I've never bred mollies before or any other live bearer for that matter. Just been reading and reading so now I'm doing and doing!

None of my 4 females are pregnant yet!!!

Just going to have to be patient and wait for that wonderful day!

Do you think that I can weigh down some hornwort instead of BUYING java moss ?

I have a lot of hornwort. Will the fry get trapped in it?

Thanks!

pretzelsz 02-27-2010 08:46 AM

If you have anyone you know that has java moss I bet they would be ok in giving you some because it grows like crazy...even anyone in the same state from the forum or something