Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   First Tank, Bought Used (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/first-tank-bought-used-37936/)

Corona 02-24-2010 08:30 PM

First Tank, Bought Used

4 Attachment(s)
Hello there everyone! This is my first tank, bought it as a complete set with everything, including the fish. I'd appreciate if anyone could identify the catfish, as well. I plan on changing the gravel to sand and working on a planted tank. Enjoy, although i'm not much of a photographer.

Edit: Fish consist of two black mollies, two black skirt tetras, and an as-of-yet unknown catfish. All water from previous owner's tank was transfered with the tank when I purchased, basically drained the water into buckets, fish into travel containers, and brought it home. It's been a day, and they seem to be happy.

Promelas 02-24-2010 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That catfish definitely looks like a Corydoras sp. to me... could be a panda corydora?

Does it look like this?

Corona 02-24-2010 08:56 PM

Yes, that certainly looks like him. He doesn't move much...just sits on a spot on the bottom, then he'll decide to move. I'm not sure if he's okay or not, sortof worries me.

Promelas 02-24-2010 09:00 PM

Well I'm new to cories as well, but I've asked about them in other posts. Mine are generally pretty quiet and chill the majority of the day and then around the same time each evening they all go nuts swimming around. Your cory would definitely benefit from some other panda friends. They're a shoaling fish so a small group would make him much happier. I have 4 at the moment, hopefully buying 2 more soon.

Corona 02-24-2010 09:14 PM

And therin lies my predicament. Apparently Black Skirt Tetras thrive best in schools as well, so I need to get a few more of those. I'm not sure how many more of any fish I can get before this tank becomes overstocked.

Promelas 02-24-2010 09:17 PM

And that's where those much more skilled in aquaria than I will chime in. How big is the tank?

Corona 02-24-2010 09:19 PM

I forgot to mention, 10 gallons, thank you. I'm not sure if I get more tetras to make them happy, that i'll be able to sustain any more fish. According to AQAdvisor my filter isn't as powerful as it needs to be.

Sinopa 02-25-2010 12:44 AM

As long as they're community fish then you can usually put more in the tank than you would with non-schooling fish
As far as exactly how many per tank....I have no clue. I have quite a few fish in my 9 gallon, all my fish seem happy, levels are good and everyone has something to eat!

Good luck with the planted tank!

TankMAster 02-25-2010 07:02 AM

catfish is a panda cory

trukgirl 02-26-2010 10:51 PM

I agree I'd say its a Panda Cory.

I have my 10g a lil overloaded by typical standards but my Barbs all school together. I test the water and have never had any issues whatsoever. (I've had way more issues with my 55g!) If it was me I would get at least another Cory for your panda to buddy with, but that's me.

I have that exact same barrel ornament in my 10g LOL!