Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   "Loving" situation with Albino Tigers here (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/loving-situation-albino-tigers-here-37927/)

Angel079 02-24-2010 08:15 PM

"Loving" situation with Albino Tigers here

Uhm so I have yet another *situation* in my 55g between a male & female Albino Tiger Barb if you know what I mean.....

They will eat their eggs right away like they do every time my Cory's have eggs - RIGHT?:|

I really begin to think something is *off* in that 55g tank I never had fish that were NOT livebears and still breeding THAT much:roll:

Mean Harri 02-24-2010 08:17 PM

Maybe they missed Valentine's Day and are making up for it. Go fishies go

Austin 02-24-2010 08:26 PM

I'd say something was on and not off in your water. :p Fish breed when conditions are good.

LisaC144 02-24-2010 09:50 PM

What the heck are you treating that water with girl? ;-)

Angel079 02-24-2010 10:01 PM

I'm not doing anything different then my other tanks; only diff is that one get's a "comprehensive" liquid fert....maybe I should cross check the label there!? Don't get me wrong I been breeding fish intentionally before but I just even then didn't have fish that where THIS uhm *happy*.....

Makes ya wonder about that water really.....I mean in general :-)

TankMAster 02-25-2010 05:37 AM

Barbs usually breed every 2 weeks. sadly the eggs don't make it in a community tank.

My barbs have eggs in them at the moment....and will have again in two weeks...

Your food, water, temperature and overall population:tank size ratio is good!!

Angel079 02-25-2010 11:41 AM

I donno about the 2 weeks matter.....unless mine are on a diff time schedule in the East here :lol:

Water (from tap is pH 6.8 and KH1) in the 55g it is pH 7.5 and KH 4-5
Population in the 55g: 1 Kissing Gourami; 9 Albino Tiger Barbs; 6 Bronze Cory Cats (needless to say with THAT set up no egg survives in there lol)
Temp's at 73-74F

TankMAster 02-25-2010 01:19 PM

East? Where about.... I'm here in South Africa on the East Coast and my Tigers spawn every 2 weeks! Its crazy.

I feed them on a strict diet of bloodworms, cichlid pellets and flakes.

Angel079 02-25-2010 02:14 PM

LOL sorry I meant East as in the US (TN here). Only place in Africa I ever been was tunisia and that was many many many yrs ago :-)

Yea mine get a pretty neat variety of food (apart from the eggs that is). Apparently they're happy buggers there :-)

iamntbatman 02-26-2010 06:36 AM

Actually I have no idea how these fish even survive in the wild. Mine would spawn on a regular basis but they would eat their own eggs like CRAZY. Every time one was laid another fish would swoop in and eat it right as the female released it.